capacitor question

drgnlzrd

Hello everyone. I've never had a capacitor in my systems before.................I am pretty sure I know how to install them but I do not know how to discharge them if I ever need to remove anything or disconnect the cap. How is this done and what would happen if i did'nt??

if it was new it should have come with a little chip with 2 wires sticking out of it. to discharge you connect the two wires together and wait for the light to come on. it won't hurt to not discharge that i know of.....but careful cause now its like a live battery and some sparks could fly if it touches metal across the posts!

Capacitors are indeed usefull.....in the right context. I find mine extremly usefull.

This is Directly from the car audio online HOLY GRAIL! http://www.bcae1.com

Discharging the Capacitor:

If you're going to remove your capacitor for some reason, you may want to completely discharge the capacitor to prevent creating a hazardous situation. To discharge the capacitor (after it's disconnected from the system), simply provide a path for the current to flow from one terminal to the other. You can use either the test light or the resistor. After it is discharged, you may want to connect the terminals together with a piece of wire or resistor. Some large capacitors will act like a battery and develop some small voltage across its terminals. Since the capacitor is likely a large capacitor (over 1/2 farad), the small voltage could be dangerous. Even if your capacitor's design doesn't cause it to develop a significant voltage when not in use, leaving the terminals connected will leave no doubt whether the cap is charged or not.

Ahh the great capacitor debate :lol:

I would advise discharging it if you intend on removing it.

Ive seen very small ones blow in electronics class. They are like miny grenades. I would truly hate to see a 1 farad blow up in someones hand... ouch!

:eek: