Perhaps someone can help me about seatbelts?

littleredcar

At an agency today I find that a replacment seatbelt for my 1991 Cutlass Supreme coupe is only available in "Red" In my gray interior I believe one red seatbelt would look a lot silly.

The parts manager when looking through his computer link at the factory cameup with a gray unit listed for a 1990 Cutlass Supreme coupe. What I would like to know, if one of you might know for sure?. Is the two years the same? the price of the 91 red seatbelt is in the $165.00 range where the 1990 gray one is only $129.00 and change...? odd huh?

So what I am asking is are the two cars identical for the seatbelts? does anyone possibly have a 1990 service manual where they might be able to send me a scanned copy of the exploded view as my 91 service manual has of the drivers side seatbelt? The factory part number for the 1990 seatbelt is 1-12501095.

That's pretty much it everyone, and I thank you all for taking the time to read this and possibly help.

Tom, AKA. littleredcar...Oregon

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

i am not 100% sure. they should be the same though. i think you would be better off going to a junkyard and getting one for a few bucks. at my junkyard they would probably just let you have it for free.

The only difference that I have seen between th 90's and the 91's are the seat belt guides at the top. the 91+ style are a little bit longer, and a slightly different style. Being that they are longer, the seat belt will sit a little bit lower on your shoulder, but that shouldn't be a problem unless you are a really short person.

Here's the ones in my GS, This is what the 90 Style should look like. These ones seems to be less prone to fading and turning grey like the 91+ ones do as well.

100_2963.jpg

Here's the ones in my cutlass. This is what the 91 style should look like.

100_2964.jpg

they are not, in my belief.

I need to double check this. altough they would look similiar, they may have different controls on the release and restraint mechansims. it might look right but won't work a damn in an accident.

what is different? I think 90 models had a manual plunger relase and 91 models were electriallay controlled. someone go outside and check right now, please.

I have my eyes open for your request... if you need a used one. j/y diving tomorrow! PM me your phone number if you want me to contact you and let you know if i find one

what is different? I think 90 models had a manual plunger relase and 91 models were electriallay controlled. someone go outside and check right now, please.

Plunger release? Are you talking about the little plunger at the bottom of the door that makes the seat belt retract from that "tension Release" mode that you can lock the belts into? If so, AFAIK, the 91+ did not have that, at least no 91+ that i have seen have had that feature.

Plunger release? Are you talking about the little plunger at the bottom of the door that makes the seat belt retract from that "tension Release" mode that you can lock the belts into? If so, AFAIK, the 91+ did not have that, at least no 91+ that i have seen have had that feature.

that is what I am saying precisely!

Ahhh, gotcha now. That shouldn't make a difference though. It appears to me that you need to force the cable in for it to allow the tension release, so you should be able to leave the cable hanging in the door and there should be no problem. I disabled that feature on my GS, it was so fucking annoying eveytime I leaned forward, the belt would loose tension, Real Safe there GM :rolleyes: No 91+ that I have seen have had that feature. The only other thing that crosses my mind that may be different between 90 and 91 would be the wiring plug for the "Anti Locking" mechanism to keep the belts from locking when the door is opened.

the plunger, when compressed, locks the mechanism. so you can;t lay it out.

I do not know if they 90- have electrical connectors, but I'll be finding out asap.

the electrical selonoids power up when the door is opened, meening they are normally locked. if you failed to power the selonids you would still be safe. If you fail to utilize the plunger... your dead, and that is bad for you.

I think I am going to have to take apart the door pannel on my 88 and see what all that plunger really does. All I know is that the driver side ones are removed on both of my Regals, and all that was affected was that tension release feature. Everything else worked normally. I have made emergency stops in both vehicles, and the belts always locked up as they should. They even lock up on me if i corner quickly. Unless for some supid reason there is a difference between US and Canadian Spec Cars :dunno: The only thing that i see that would ever prevent the belt from locking would be powering the electric solenoid for the automatic belts. Also, to answer your question, yes, the 90- belts should have the electrical connectors on them, as I can see wiring running to each of the retractors.

Yeah my doors click too when you pull on the handle but don't open the door....I've never trusted these shitty ass seatbelts and I never will lol...mine don't lock at anytime....I like them that way (until you get in a wreck though)....the belts in my Dad's Volvo S60 are almost too sensitive where if you corner hard they lock and hold you in your seat....almost like the clincher button in my buddy's dad's Corvette they used to have....click that button and the seat belt would retract and pin you to the seat

Yeah my doors click too when you pull on the handle but don't open the door....I've never trusted these shitty ass seatbelts and I never will lol...mine don't lock at anytime....I like them that way (until you get in a wreck though)....the belts in my Dad's Volvo S60 are almost too sensitive where if you corner hard they lock and hold you in your seat....almost like the clincher button in my buddy's dad's Corvette they used to have....click that button and the seat belt would retract and pin you to the seat

***you know now that you mention that feature, The seatbelts in my Coup[e does that on a hard turn...they will pull you back into the seat gently but with a very positive attitude.

Found out what went wrong with the steering in the little car...The rack and pinion steering unit is falling apart! I haven't researched that problem on the year, maybe one of the forum knows off the top of their head about the 1991 CS International's with the "quick steering" rack and pinion steering unit and it's problems with the steering box? Six years ago I had to replace the steering box due to damage sustained after a run at a "pothole" that was damn near deep enough to swallow the little car, I didn't see it in the early AM fog on my first trip here. I was following a Log truck trying to find my way here to Lakeside, it went over that hole even with the wide stance of the car it went IN that damn hole almost bringing me to a full stop at some 30 MPH...thank God for that seatbelt that night!

That one knocked six teeth off the rack and broke the upper motor mount it hit so hard...sure can't blame that one on the engineers at GM huh?***

I think Regal_GS_1989 is right. I think that plunger is only to spool the belt back in if the belt doesn't happen to spool in on its own.

I have never, ever felt W-body door-mounted belts lock in my 12-1/2yrs of driving them.