Almost buying a 97 GTP...questions

94CutlassXtreme

So I'm thinking about buying a 97 GTP with 63,000 miles on it. Its loaded except for HUD and sunroof. The dealer is asking 8000.00. Body is in amazing shape, and interior is pretty nice too. 1 owner and she was 60 years old.....Good deal, bad deal?

yeah 8,000 is pretty high, but if the car's flawless and with only 63k i'd talk them down to bout 7000 tops

and a GTP with no HUD? I'd go Regal GS if it were me

NADA is no more than 7600 for HIGH retail. I talked it over with the salesman. They're saying that they paid way too much money for the car when the previous owner traded it, they worked with her. She's 66 years old and traded the 97 GP for a fucking V-8 GP GXP!!! WHY?? :lol: So I'm looking at like 230 per month so far, and I'm hoping they'll come down on the price a little more. I got to see the service records for the car, the pontiac dealer that has it has serviced it since new. Oil changed every 2500 miles, and she brought it down there for EVERYTHING, even if all it needed was a tail lamp bulb. I'm leaning towards picking it up. Also, do 97 GTP's have traction control??? I didnt see a button to turn it off, and depressing the e-brake didnt light a trac off light. Just curious.

IIRC,

97s had traction control you cant turn off, or they dont have any kind of traction control (but they do have a low tire pressure light, rofl)

You could always pull a fuse to disable traction control too......or at least you can in 99+'s

8grand for that is a little high, but 63k miles is still young, so depending on how you drive it, should give you years of good service.

Cool thing is, some 97s were FREAKS (if your looking for speed). A local guy got his in the 13s with only a 3.4 and a PCM. I wish my car was that fast :(

Also, gotta love the prop rod and the mast antennae, w00t.

Guest TurboSedan

that is way too high for a '97 GTP. i'd look around.

and don't believe them when they tell you a 66 year old lady used to drive it. pffttt yeah right. they'll tell you anything to sell a car.

IIRC,

97s had traction control you cant turn off, or they dont have any kind of traction control (but they do have a low tire pressure light, rofl)

You could always pull a fuse to disable traction control too......or at least you can in 99+'s

8grand for that is a little high, but 63k miles is still young, so depending on how you drive it, should give you years of good service.

Cool thing is, some 97s were FREAKS (if your looking for speed). A local guy got his in the 13s with only a 3.4 and a PCM. I wish my car was that fast :(

Also, gotta love the prop rod and the mast antennae, w00t.

that pretty much sums it up right there. I forgot to mention about 97's having a good deal of factory freaks. but i'd still haggle them on coming down on the price.

well, if you don't get lucky and get a FREAK, you could end up with a TUNING NIGHTMARE!!...i've read some bad things about 97's, so i dunno...of course, i've read bad things about the 03's too, but i ended up buying one :lol:

i really like 97s myself.

however i coulden't justify paying more then its worth just because the salesman gave you a sob story about how ithey paid too much for it. if they didn't think they could get what they wanted for it they woulda never got it in the first place.

but yeah, 8k is too much IMO for that car.

well, if you don't get lucky and get a FREAK, you could end up with a TUNING NIGHTMARE!!...i've read some bad things about 97's, so i dunno...of course, i've read bad things about the 03's too, but i ended up buying one :lol:

Bad about '03's? Odd....anyway.

Like everyone else said 8k is too much for that car. Shit, it's almost a 10 year old car! Personally, I would pay NO more than $6500-$7000 and that would even be pushing it a lot for myself.

I don't see why you are getting rid of the CS. I personally like you CS alot. And no, I don't have a home for it. Mileage doesn't scare me, and I consider 163,000 (your mileage IIRC) only half worn out :P

And staying on topic, tell the dealer to shove it. they are asking way too much.

I'd rather drive a nicely optioned out CS with 500,000 miles than something low mileage i don't like. JMO In a few years I will be driving such a high mileage car!

however i coulden't justify paying more then its worth just because the salesman gave you a sob story about how ithey paid too much for it.

no doubt, salesmen will say just about anything to sell a car....kind of like how all high mileage cars are all highway miles

NADA is no more than 7600 for HIGH retail. I talked it over with the salesman. They're saying that they paid way too much money for the car when the previous owner traded it, they worked with her. She's 66 years old and traded the 97 GP for a fucking V-8 GP GXP!!! WHY??

See, that's THEIR loss, not your problem. I'd never believe that line of BS, they probably gave the old lady $100 for the trade.

My CS is an electrical nightmare at this point. Appearantly, my dad decided to mess with it when I was at work, and the diagnostic port was dangling, because I ubbolted it, so he pushed it up and the door locks started going crazy.

I gotta be honest, the only thing preventing me from buying this car right now is everyones input on this forum because franky it means alot.

I physically got to see all the service records for the car, as well as the screen that listed the name, and DOB of the lady who traded it, and yea, she was actually 66.

And I know 8k for a 9 year old car is a helluva lot, and I have seen GTP's cheaper, even if they were a year or two newer, but not with the kind of mileage, and I know the car's history, and I have a carfax on it.

I'm getting GAP insurance on this car, which means that if the car gets stolen or smashed up to the point where it sees the boneyard, then I'm not responsible for the rest of the loan.

I need a car right now.....picking up a beater I need to rely on is out of the question.