Re-Installing headliner...need help...

Jon89le

Alright, well back when i had my car painted the headliner began to sag really bad due to moisture (car had to weatherstripping) so i installed a new one which has now unglued. When i installed it, i sanded the headliner itself down, cleaned it, and applied this spray glue on the fabric and on the headliner but i must have done something wrong. The glue was the "Heavy Duty" spray adhesive from Permatex; orange can with blue cap. My question now is what glue should a use? 3M sells one i think, would that be better? Should i use an adhesive remover to get the glue off the headliner now and then spray new glue? Anyone have any tips on spray methods or anything? Thanks for any help.

Ah, congrats!! I learned this the hard way. First off Permatex + headliner= sucks. As well as the "heads up" HEADLINER spray adhesive + headliner = sucks. i used 3 different types of spray adhesive for my (velvet-like)headliner, and the only one which worked is the big white can of 3M super heavy duty adhesive. This is the ONLY one which held up for more than 2-3 days for me. Actually it's been about 1.5 years and Im not having any problems. The previous adhesives I used, the 1st one (Elmers eneral spray adhesive) fully 100% released as soon as I brought the headliner outside. The 2nd (Permatex) held up for 1 day inside the car. The 3rd (3M general) was much better but sagged around the sunvisors after a week. but the 4th time I used super (by this time the fabric wasnt going to hold together too much longer) and worked excellent. I might have used some leftover 3M super 77 spray on the edges and that held up well too.

The spray adhesive I got for my headliner job came from a fabric store. I can imagine another good place to find them would be specialty upholstry shops. I used a generic heavy duty brand and my headliner has been wrinkle free and sag free for about a year now.

The procedure I used was:

1) Take headliner out of the car

2) tear off old headliner

3) scrape off old glue

4) very thoroughly clean the headliner backing <- very important

5) lay the rolled up frabric at one end (like you're installing carpeting)

and make sure you have enough of it to conform to the shape of the headliner

6) apply adhesive on headliner and on the fabric one small section at a time.

7) wait for atleast 2 or 3 minutes before you lay down the fabric.

8) roll down the glued section.. smooth it out immediately before any of the glue starts to set. you miight need extra hand for this to go off without a hitch.

9) repeat 6 to 8 till the whole thing is done.

Do the above when it's nice and warm.. stay away from doing this job if the temp outside is below 15C.

Ah, so Permatex really IS a piece of crap. Well thanks for the input guys. Ill try and go to the local stores and look for the heavy duty 3M glue.

How many coats of spray glue should i apply? Should i do the coats to the fabric and headliner or just one of the two? And should i do these coats to the entire area, wait a few minutes, and then roll out the fabric or what? Thanks

not to whore this thread (if i am i apologise) but i have a question of my own. are you talking about glueing new fabric to the headliner or the headliner to the roof? how is the headliner mounted? im asking cuz my friend's 91 TA is having this problem to the max and instead of him paying 200 bucks to have it replaced id like to help him out if its at the cost of some glue and a little time

not to whore this thread (if i am i apologise) but i have a question of my own. are you talking about glueing new fabric to the headliner or the headliner to the roof? how is the headliner mounted? im asking cuz my friend's 91 TA is having this problem to the max and instead of him paying 200 bucks to have it replaced id like to help him out if its at the cost of some glue and a little time

The headliner will be held up by the trim pieces(pillars, doors, windows, etc.). Some cars' headliners will have the push-in tacks holding them in. :) :)

nope no ttops. it weird tho cuz there is his EXACT car roving around here (green 91 ta) but its a convertible. i dont think ive ever seen that generation f body in convertible....hmm well now that i think about it maybe a camaro, but not a firebird or ta!

• 2 weeks later...

3M headliner adhesive kicks ass!!!! That is the first thing my GTP needed. You can get the headliner material from a fabric store, apply adhesive to the fiberglass headliner, then to the back of the headliner, wait a minute and lay down. Center first, then work your way outwards. I left 2" on each side, then glued and folded for a very nice edge look.