Fastest W-Body

roomylumy

Just curious to know if it has been tested or, if not, some opinions if one W-Body has an advantage over the other based on style alone all other things being equal. Because of weight distribution and aerodynamics etc. Wondering about 1st and 2nd gens.

For 1st gens, weight distribution is probably very close to the same, with the coupes being a little lighter. Most will have close to or the same coefficient of drag, their shapes are pretty similar. Hoods are the same, front glass is too (I think), heights are the same too. TGP's are the only ones with that were "performance based" but the externals are the still the same, basically. 'Verts will be the heaviest (at least I think so).

All things being equal, two door coupes are going to be generally be the quickest cars amongst either generation of W-bodies. You could break that down farther and pick the 2dr coupe w/ the most powerful engine, but lacking other options(sunroof, etc.) that would reduce the weight of the car.

*ahem* what about the GTP...how could that not be performance based?

The question was about the shape and weight of the car. GTP is not performance based if you look at those criteria, neither is the TGP really. I think the lower front air dam on the TGP is a bit different, but thats it.

come on guys...we all know sl3196's GTP is the slowest motherfucking w-body ever! :lol:

I totally fixed that for you. You had a big spelling error.

thanks man!...:thumb:

i'm thinking '93 Grand Prix SE coupe with little/no options and the LQ1/5-speed. probably just barely faster than the TGP.

The fastest 1st Gen magazine time was 15.12@90.18...it was posted by a 1992 5spd Lumina Z34(there was also a '92 Grand Prix SE 5spd/DOHC car in the same magazine article that trapped half a mph slower than the Z34. That half mph is very close, if they were driven by the same driver..I think the SE and Z34 would have been dead even).

As far as non-magazine times go, a Z34 here has ran a 14.9 stock, and a TSTE has ran a 14.9 as well(along w/ yet another TSTE that ran a 15.0). The TGP/TSTE and 5spd/3.4 DOHC cars in optimal condition are pretty much equal in performance in stock trim.

i'm thinking '93 Grand Prix SE coupe with little/no options and the LQ1/5-speed. probably just barely faster than the TGP.

The fastest 1st Gen magazine time was 15.12@90.18...it was posted by a 1992 5spd Lumina Z34(there was also a '92 Grand Prix SE 5spd/DOHC car in the same magazine article that trapped half a mph slower than the Z34. That half mph is very close, if they were driven by the same driver..I think the SE and Z34 would have been dead even).

As far as non-magazine times go, a Z34 here has ran a 14.9 stock, and a TSTE has ran a 14.9 as well(along w/ yet another TSTE that ran a 15.0). The TGP/TSTE and 5spd/3.4 DOHC cars in optimal condition are pretty much equal in performance in stock trim.

IIRC, aren't the Z34's the heaviest out of the bunch as well?

The cladding is plastic, and really not that heavy. The flares cover the wider tires, so in a sense making it more aerodynamic.

But wider tires are less aerodynamic as well. The question is does the wider tires that cause more drag along with the body kit make up for the slightly less traction on launch? Between the weight of the kit and larger frontal area I think I'd still give the win to the non-b4u, not that it's much of a difference at all.

The cladding is plastic, and really not that heavy. The flares cover the wider tires, so in a sense making it more aerodynamic.

But wider tires are less aerodynamic as well. The question is does the wider tires that cause more drag along with the body kit make up for the slightly less traction on launch? Between the weight of the kit and larger frontal area I think I'd still give the win to the non-b4u, not that it's much of a difference at all.

I agree. A base model'd car with the 3.4/5speed would be the quickest, right along with the TGP.

IIRC, aren't the Z34's the heaviest out of the bunch as well?

Claimed curb weight for a 5spd Z34 is 3402lbs, claimed curb weight for a GP SE w/ the 5spd/DOHC combo is 3230lbs. I think the weight difference is even less than that in some cases...