TGP shifting

Addicted To Boost

Hi guys I have a problem with my TGP. The tranny shifts great on all the shifts, except the shift from 1st to 2nd gear. It shifts into second VERY firmly just driving normal, and under WOT, the shift is so firm, I'm surprised that the tires don't squeal when it makes the shift; :eek: when it does the WOT shift, there is a CLUNK when it shifts, but only the 1st to 2nd gear shift. :confused: At WOT, according to my tach, it shifts at about 5,700 RPM. Oh BTW, the guy I bought the TGP from had a new tranny put in it about 10,000 miles ago. Any help will be appreciated, as I am a newbie. :razz: Thanks

well I know that all w-bodies have a rough 1-2 shift. Mine is rough too.

It is better for it to grab rough then to slip, yah know.

I would do a transmission fluid flush and add some additive..theres this stuff in a red bottle with a silver label that works wonders. It smoothed mine out alot.

It is better for it to grab rough then to slip

I know that, but I was just wondering why it was SO rough; it is a new trans. (10,000 miles on it). Would the modulator affect it at all? Where is the modulator located? thanks

I know that, but I was just wondering why it was SO rough; it is a new trans. (10,000 miles on it). Would the modulator affect it at all? Where is the modulator located? thanks

You most likely have an adjustable vacuum modulator, which you can soften up the shifts just a bit(not too much, as firmer shifts are actually better for the trans). If you look pretty much straight down from your upper radiator hose on the front side of your trans, you will see a vacuum line that plugs into something sticking out of the trans. Thats it. I forget what size bolt holds the clip that holds it down, but it's just one bolt, then it comes out. You adjust the modulator at the top. You should see a screw.

the problem is most likely his motor mount. seen it a hundred times or more. I know if you asked all TGP owners they probably all had to do a lower engine mount a time or three :lol:

I have replaced about 4 or so. helps if you keep oil off them.

and quit trying to get scratch in 2nd until you get the new mount. the motor is just getting slapped around in there when you do that.

if that dont work, dump some bottle of random red stuff with a silver label, maybe you will get lucky. :razz: and flush it.(dont worry about the filter :lol: )

yea.

You most likely have an adjustable vacuum modulator, which you can soften up the shifts just a bit(not too much, as firmer shifts are actually better for the trans). If you look pretty much straight down from your upper radiator hose on the front side of your trans, you will see a vacuum line that plugs into something sticking out of the trans. Thats it. I forget what size bolt holds the clip that holds it down, but it's just one bolt, then it comes out. You adjust the modulator at the top. You should see a screw.

I don't think mine is adjustable.

the problem is most likely his motor mount. seen it a hundred times or more. I know if you asked all TGP owners they probably all had to do a lower engine mount a time or three :lol:

I have replaced about 4 or so. helps if you keep oil off them.

and quit trying to get scratch in 2nd until you get the new mount. the motor is just getting slapped around in there when you do that.

if that dont work, dump some bottle of random red stuff with a silver label, maybe you will get lucky. :razz: and flush it.(dont worry about the filter :lol: )

yea.

Garrett Powered, you are correct. All of my engine mounts are shot. :lol: :willynilly: Better add that to the never-ending TO DO list. :rolleyes: Thanks for the help, guys! ;)

you shouldnt have to replace the dogbones. just go get the washers from the hardware store and bolt them in! even if they are bad, the washers will temporarily make them work again until you find nice junkyard replacements.