Hood liner question

Grand Moff Joseph

My hood liner is in pretty rough shape, so I'm going to scour the j/y for a replacement. Do all 1st Gen Ws have the same hood liner?

Thanks!

GMJ :mrgreen:

I heard it actually will melt and smother any type of engine fire...but that could be pure myth??

That's a myth, just look at the pictures of roasted GTP's that were posted before...a little acoustical insulation isn't going to do anything if a fire occurs. The hood liner does insulate the hood a tad though, this is noticeable in winter if you have it removed(when the hood frosts over, you can see the outline of the support structure, you normally don't see that with the liner installed).

Man,I hate to say it,but that waste of a hood liner is merely a splash shield against power steering pumps slinging fluid all over there.EVERY GM car,mini-van or etc with the 3.1-3800 engine series,with the hood liner, has power steering fluid soaked in it.

Of course its not there as a true splash shield but was making a point...still havent seen one without fluid soaked inside yet!

:lol:

ditch it. i took mine off and was going to put it back on cuz i was tired of looking at the weird colored paint below it but couldnt find it, so i just sprayed it with undercoating :dunce:

...(when the hood frosts over, you can see the outline of the support structure, you normally don't see that with the liner installed).

Thats not true, I have mine on still and in the winter I always see the outline of the support structure.

...(when the hood frosts over, you can see the outline of the support structure, you normally don't see that with the liner installed).

Thats not true, I have mine on still and in the winter I always see the outline of the support structure.

It's true for me, because I live in the South and the temperatures do not get as cold as what you guys see...

mine got so much fluid on it that it sagged down and the alternator ripped a section of it. i promptly removed it and haven't looked back

I know how that goes. my liner was at that stage right before I sold my car

I was actually thinkin of making a big aluminum cover instead of the black cloth....

and then put some type of design on the aluminum cover.....

Adam, I have a link to something that would probably look better than that...I'll PM whenever I find it(I need to organize my bookmarks, lol).

When I got my hood liner from the dealer 2 or 3 years ago it was dual pattern, you had to cut out the area for the hood vents. At least it was marked. I cost less than 50.

Jud