Fixed The Defroster Door Setting Problem!

95oldsVan

I ended up taking the dash cover off to see wth was going on with my defroster/climate doors when the air is blowing since it would not blow out the top of the dash,only the front.

A while back I did find the acessory vacuum line broken at the engine bay,repaired that and its the main vac feed to the climate control door switch.That didnt fix it though.

The previous owner didnt know the vac line busted and screwed around with something under the dash to get the a/c to blow out the front all the time.

At least thats what he told me..didnt know for sure what he did,just messed around with the levers and etc until it came out the front.

I finally found that the vacuum assist for the front dash/defrost door,the rubber boot on one side was popped off completely,rendering the defrost option useless.

It is on the drivers side of the dash,and a bit hard to access from underneath.

The door would not move up all the way and fall back down when switching it to defrost.The lever would push up and fall since there was nothing to hold it in the upright position.

If that rubber boot is popped out,the lever to push the doors up and down wont work properly.This is what I think the previous owner tinkered with to try and fix his problem.He did not try and look in the engine bay for a common busted vac accessory line and was probably unaware of it at the time.

Now every setting works again sine I pushed it back in place and the levers move up and down with vac as they should.

Ps,another reason I took the entire dash cover out was to ensure there was no other damage or broken parts,chewed wires under the dash.There was a mouse nest inside the car at one time,also found one inside the air filter box that completely blocked the filter when I first got the car.So far,no damage and everythings intact!

Whew!Sorry for the long post!

:willynilly: :lol: