95 Cutlass Supremes with non-airbag dashboards and door-mounted belts

Russd47

I just had a discussion with an eBayer who has two 95 Cutlass Supremes that have the old non-airbag dash and door-mounted seatbelts. At least one of them is a convertible and the other has a stick shift. One was bought new by this man, the other bought new by his neighbor. VINs check as 95s.

Is this kosher? How could any 95s get built without dual airbags? How could one get a stick shift? Anyone ever heard of this? Thanks.

I'd demand pictures and proof. A manual wasn't even offered in a '95. I can give you a VIN for my '97 and claim all kinds of weird stuff.. it'll come back as a '97 of course, but without proof, nobody is gonna believe any wacky statement I make about it.

I just had a discussion with an eBayer who has two 95 Cutlass Supremes that have the old non-airbag dash and door-mounted seatbelts..

the guy is feeding you a line of shit, unless all that shit was swapped in by the owner for some reason

Non-airbag dashes and a manual tranny would mean they could only be, at LATEST, '93s. '94 had driver's side airbags, and didn't even have the accommodations in the body for the clutch/shifter/etc.

I know where hidden vins are located. i guarentee one minute alone would prove these are defiled...

i could name that tune in 10 seconds :lol:

i know of a bunch of areas that the vin is on a w-body.

Thanks for all the input. I'm skeptical for all the reasons you guys mentioned, which is why I posted in the first place. Actually, though, he's not selling his cars, he's selling a dashpad that he says fits 90-96. We got into a discussion when I told him that his item can't fit all those years due to the dashboard change in 1995. I gave him the VIN codes for 94 and 95 and he messaged back that he checked his VINs and they match for 95. I don't know why he would lie, but it's possible that he just doesn't want to admit he's wrong. He said he has several other Supremes as well, so I guess he's one of us(!), but all the others are pre-95. I got the impression he had never seen or heard of the dual-airbag dash, so maybe he's not one of us after all.

But could he have special ordered a manual tranny? I know Oldsmobile dropped the manual around 1993, but was it still offered by Chevy or Pontiac and could it have been added at the factory?

well............ you can swap whatever you want.... if you want...

while you can install a 95 CS dash into a 94, you also have to deal with the door panels, which are supposed to match the dash.

the good news for 94 sedan owners.... the seatbelt mounts for the 95 model year are already drilled and tapped on the B pilar.... you could completely install a 95 interior into a 94!

You'd have to inspect a 94 coupe for the same thing.

but to the subject at hand, this guys two 95 CS's are as kosher as bacon... If indeed they have 1995 vin tags.

I take ebay guys word on the cars with a grain of salt... most people are too stupid to understand... I sold a 85 century to a pothead, and he came back and said "the door tag [11/84 manufactor date] says it's an 84" I said "it's an 85, see on the title?" He pulled out the owners manual, looked at it, grabbed a ppen and scratched out '85' and wrote '84' and said "[VIN] numbers mathc but the title year is wrong."

• 2 weeks later...

any further result on this?

I was thinking about doing an interior upgrade in my 94 CS, swapping it out to have a 95 interior. this is of course my brothers actual car... so I would take it away from him for a week and bring it back without having told him what I am doing. the eternal WTH???? new dash, new doorpanels and move the seatbelt from the door to the coulmn (again those mounts pre-exist!)

so i ask, would a 95 interior be better than a 94 interior?

so i ask, would a 95 interior be better than a 94 interior?

When it comes to safety and ergonomics, yes.

Dual airbags is always safer than one or none.

Pillar mounted seatbelts are always safer than door seatbelts.

The vents aren't blocked by the steering wheel, and are in better locations.

The glovebox is more functional and you can see into it from the driver's seat.

I like the overall look of the 95+ better, but there are elements of the 94- that I prefer. The UB3 digital cluster for one, and the placement of the radio. I also prefer the angled semi-vertical door pull handles, it seems more ergonomic. I've always liked that weird faux finish on the flat panels too. I don't know if it's supposed to look like gray woodgrain or fake brushed metal, but I think it's cool looking. For those reasons, I would probably never swap to a 95+ interior myself.

I like the '94, seeing as how the 95+ ones just seem to cheap and plasticy (like all later 90's gms) for me. I like having the air bag wheel with the older dash, just seems to make it seem nice and sophisticated without looking cheap or like too much

dumb question...not to hijack but can u put a 95+ cutty dashboard into a 94 cutty?

You could, but it would take alot of work and fabrication I would think.

dumb question...not to hijack but can u put a 95+ cutty dashboard into a 94 cutty?

You could, but it would take alot of work and fabrication I would think.

It would be difficult to know until it was tried, but I believe the 94 car is already built to accept the 95 dash, since it already has the round column with the metal column suppport, which it a different support than the square columns. Not to mention the B pillar seatbelt mounts they were installed but not utilized

I know stockgp instlaled a 95+ CS dash in a 90 GP and did have to do some fabricating, but I think alot had to do with the column support being different.

If I find a good interior cheap, I may do it. The car currently has the tan interior, but I don't think the tan actually looks that bad. it's a black car....

beige balck, or blue...

The is like a laser etched tag on the drivers side inner rocker molding under the carpet right in the middle of 1993-1997 Cutlass Supreme coupes

ditto on that, at the base of the B pillar.

UPDATE:

can it be done? The bottom holes for the setbelt mechanisms pre-exist, and actually have seatbelt bolts installed. But, the top seatbelt pillar mount has the holes punched, but lacks the threaded retainers mounted on the inside of the pillar, on a 94. It I had a welder, I would drill out the weld spots on my donor car, and transfer the retainers to the porject vehicle. these missing reatiner nuts hold the adjustable track upon which the belt mounts.

can it be done? it will cost me $100 just for the donor interior parts to try.. this beiung only the dahs, and doorpanels + seatbelts and b lpilar trim. dare I risk it?