Fuel gauge is inaccurate

Supreme Cutlass

Sometimes my fuel gauge will read about 3/8 full, but after driving it will drop down until it's about in the red. After it's parked for a while and starts back up it'll read about where it was, maybe a little less. Do I need a new sender?

I think most W body cars, and most GM cars in general have similar problems. My gauge goes over full and stays like that for about a hundred miles, so when I have a half a tank on the gauge, i really have like 1/3. My Lumina would move up and down alot when i had under 1/4 tank and my cavalier would move up and down randomly.

I have been told this happens because the sensor that tells how much gas is in the tank will change if the gas moves around, thats why you will see the gauge change when on a hill or going around a turn. I have also been told that its because the gas gauge needle does not go down to E when the car is shut off (like my crown vic did) and over time this casues the needle to get off somewhat.

From half-tank to empty, mine reads all over the place. Sometimes if you take a turn too fast or slow down fast or speed up, youll see the needle moving.

Same...turns even slow make my needle read way past empty lol...