Ringing noise??

3pt1lumina

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted...it's been a long summer...had a lot of stuff happen in my life but still exist.. great to be back.

In coming back, my cars have been behaving themselves well... However, my 96 has developed a funny noise. (3100) when the car is idling, there is a ringing, (almost like a bell) coming from the motor... if I turn on the A/C it goes away...but if I turn it off, the sound comes back... Is it some kind of clutch or something..?

If so, what does it cost for the part? and how hard is it to replace?

Thanks all! :biggrin:

hmm....is it one constant sound? or does it like change pitches or sound like theres some bearing loose?

mine makes like a ringing/whistling noise whenever the weather is cold enough.. its my PS pump or A/C clutch assembly i think

It may need adjusting... does it do it any other time aside from idle? like if you rev it, does it keep doin it?

Mine randomelly started, let it go for a long time then finally rented the clutch adjustment tool and pulled the clutch out a few mm (if you turned the clutch, you could feel it catching).

Problem, solved.

mine made the same noise its the belt tensioner.. when i turned the ac on it stoped. somehow it got bent a little. i put a washer between it and the block. problem fixed :thumb:

I assume the noise chages tone or disappears with a change in engine speed?

remove the serp belt, and spin all pulleys, and wiggle the tensioner back and forth. if the tensioner moves side to side, replace that. I've seen 'ringing' from tensioners that have broken and started rubbing on the face of the timing cover.