DIC Installation

Ferreira

My 1991 Cutlass International has most options (HUD, ECC, Fog lights ect)

but did not come with the DIC. I recently found a DIC in a pick a part from a 91 with a 3.1. Mine is a 3.4 D.O.H.C.

I have taken apart the dash three times looking for the factors harnesses, but I cannot seen to locate them. Aparently from all the infromation I have gathered, the harnesses should be located behind the ECC. I have taken the ECC out a few times and again have found nothing there.

I also heard that it is possible to splice into existing wires. I have a Haynes manual with the wiring diagrams, but I am new at doing wiring so I was wondering if I could get advice on the best way to do this.

Any advice would be greatly Appreciated,

Ben :D

I did this to my '90, didn't have the wiring either. Most wires I needed to splice were at the instrument cluster. It would be best to get the GM manual, unless someone has a scan of it. I'll get back to you.

Ya, Actually I believe it is your web site where I obtained most of my info.

I pulled the Cluster out for cleaning and had a look at the wiring, I just was not sure which wires did what?

It sure fits great in the compartment, I have been driving arround with installed but not connected. 8)

I took the upper dash pad and spliced most wires into the large main harness to the right of the radio, about where the harness comes up out of the bottom half dash. That way I was able to keep wire lengths as short as possible and as close to factory splices as possible.

To find the correct wires, I used a multimeter and a needle.

I have picked up a multimeter, and going to atttempt to do this.

I still am wondering if the factory harnesses might be hidden somewhere in all of that wire taped up? I have the ECC, and from what I have seen from most forums is that if you have the factory wiring in an 88-91 with an ECC than the DIC harnesses should be there as well.

I might spend some more time trying to locate them.

Also I definetly need to get a Helms or GM manual, the Haynes just has very basic diagrams in it's manual that do not include ECC or DIC wiring.

Thanks again for all of the info!

It would make sense that you would have the wiring there. All the taped up wiring I've seen is taped up behind the main harness using what looks like masking tape, not the black electrical tape.

You will probably have to pull the ECC to know for sure.

Nope!!

There are definetly no DIC harnesses that I can find in that tight area. I followed the ECC wiring all the way up until it came to that large plastic case, nothing there. The only place I thought it might be would be somewhere in that case with all of the wires, but I doubt it. I had a really good look this time.

Looks like splicing is the only option. I need to get my hands on a GM manual or if someone has a scan of the wiring diagrams that would be exellent.

Thanks Again