Justin

Keep it? Sell it?  

1. 1. Keep it? Sell it?

• Keep it! It's a 5 speed Z for christs sake!
    • Sell it! It's a 3.4 DOHC for christs sake!

Well, I picked up another W, this time a 1992 Z34. I swore I'd never own another 3.4, but I couldn't pass up a Getrag. I'll probably just fix it and sell it, it needs a water pump, power steering line repair, and silicone around the distributor plug. My new baby...

351033_2_full.jpg

351033_3_full.jpg

351033_1_full.jpg

It's got 173000 miles on it, and the only body damage is on the right rear quarter, a crease. Boy, the Lumina's sure aren't as optioned as the Cutlass, are they? This one doesn't even have power seats or any cool gadgets. I guess I've got 3 of the 4 now, just need a Regal to complete my collection.

1989 Cutlass (4)

1991 GP

1992 GP

1992 Z34

I still own 5 of them, jeez, anyone want to buy some W's? Seriously, I am going to sell the Z after a little while, if anyone would be interested.

Nah, I've got the extra moldings, actually, I have lots extra, rear bumper, pass. side, etc... I just haven't had the ambition to grind all the nubs off the door and attach the new hardware for the Int. Series moldings.

I'm assuming these nub locations will be covered up with the I-series moldings, correct? I took all the I-series clips, but I dont know if I want to drill more holes in the body (already had to do that for the "SL" moldings) I was thinking of using double sided tape, along with those metal brackets, but I guess I'll decide when school ands and I actually have "time"

Picked it up for $700. Found out today that the dist. shaft o-ring it leaking BAD. oh well, silicone time. if I can get the leaks taken care of, it's probably a $2000 car. Timing belt looks ok, normal amount of fuzz in the covers, guy I gought it from put about 50,000 on it, didn't even know where the timing belt was.... I had my 8mm socket along, just to check it. I suppose a guy has to pull the intake to do the dist. drive seal? That would kinda suck. But the oil just runs out, like hardcore.

I say KEEP IT, looks hella nice from the supplied pics. You have plenty of cars to drive, so why not do the oil pump drive repair your self the right way to fix the leak...unless of course, you don't have a garage or place to work on it, that kinda hinders self-repairs from time to time. I'd either keep the car and drive it or either make everything at least look ok on it and clean the engine up real good with some castrol super degreasor :wink: and keep it to trade in on a newer car if you decided to take that route. just my two pennies

EDIT: Oh yeah, where did this Z happen to come from? I was thinking of buying one with around the same mileage and condition, and was wondering if you picked up this one in ND or outta state? 8)

I got it in ND, a salesman at a dealership owned by the same guy that owns our, which brings me to the other question, yes, I have a hoist available, and a shop, but I have so many projects that this one will have to either be back-burnered or done as quick and easy as possible. Found the P. steering leak, easy to get to, new hose clamp should fix it up, and a water pump should fix the coolant leak, hopefully the pump is the same on a 2.8, then I have one to install, too. jeezus 3.4s are loud with 8" glasspacks, it's a little too ricey for me.

Keep it, thats all I gotta say, abandone your 3.1 projects, you have a 3.4 5-speed for christ sakes! Most of us would kill or at least seriously injure for one of those. :lol:

keep it, that one is nice. The power steering leak was not easy to fix on mine. I do believe the water pumps are the same on a 2.8L. The head does not have to come off if you don't want it to. All you need is another o-ring and about 30 minutes. All DOHC motors are loud with glasspacks. :wink: :wink:

Does the dist. shaft o-ring require intake removal? I've heard a couple different ways to do it, unbolting and using JB Weld, grinding off part of it and slipping a new oring in there, or head removal. I've also listed them in likeliness in the case of this repair, but only because I've not really looked into the grinding down of the plug, how much to grind off, nothing. I mean, if I cleaned the plug and sealed it with JB Weld, there really shouldn't be any chance of leaking, should there?

I ground off a section of my head to do mine. That plug does not require intake removal, but it did in my case. I was doing other things to mine. If you do take the intake off, of course it will take longer. if you need more details P.M. me. :) :) :)

I say keep it, and sell a GP. Whaddya need 2 GP's for?

Fixing the dist plug O-ring is easy, well, as easy as it can be considering you still need to pull that crappin' plenum.

On mine, I didn't grind or cut anything. I removed the hold down clamp and lifted up the oil pump drive till it hit the head, then cleaned under and around it very well. Then I slipped a 1/16" thick O-ring over the head of the oil pump drive. That alone probably would have sealed it up, but I went one step further and squished some black RTV under the head of the oil pump drive, then pushed it down as far as it would go, and wiped off the excess. I let it cure, then the next day tightened down the pump drive clamp just enough to be tight and snug.

It has held up quite well!