trunk weight capacity?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

how much weight can i haul around in the trunk of a '98 Buick Regal GS?

i'm going down to Colorado the 1st week of September for a RMCGP Dyno Day. i have a TGP shortblock that i want to bring for Kenny. no heads or anything; just a shortblock with crank/pistons and oil pan. i'm not sure what it weighs? i also need to bring a Getrag 282 for David. i think the Getrag weighs around 100lbs IIRC. i'll also have one passenger.

is this too much for a ~400 mile highway trip?

put it in and see how bad the wheels sit in the wheel wells, then you have your answer.

i wish i had a more scientific answer for you, do the door dags say anything about the capacities of the car?

I had my fully assembled shortblock in the truck of the Cutlass.. it handled like complete shit, was 10x slower to go and stop than usual, but it didn't do anything obscene like crack the monoleaf or anything. Then again I didn't have a Getrag in there too. In any case, I'd expect you'd be much better off in your 2nd gen.

I know there have been a lot of threads on this, but I would venture a guess at the assembled shortblock weighing maybe 160 dry. I would guess more, but I'm a weak kid and I was able to lift it enough to get over the lip of the trunk to slide it down my hand truck (while standing over it in the trunk).

Maybe I'll pick up a cheap scale at work tomorrow. If my step dad's around I'll ask him to give me a hand slipping it off the stand quick so we'll have a definate answer.

Maybe it would be a good idea to take your rear bench out and put the tranny in the back seat. Might help the weight distribution a little bit.

I had a rough time driving around with an assembled 3400 long block in my trunk. I put the heads and other parts behind the front seat to help with weight distribution (hah) you may be ok with the gen-2 rear susp setup, but I'd agree with putting the Getrag in the back-seat area.

You shouldn't have any problem hauling a shortblock at all.

BTW, the weight capacity is 5 dead bodies, assuming you can get them to fit.

6 chopped into 1' long sections and a midget with a camera.

I had 400lbs of sandblast material in my '95 Lumina awhile back. She squatted like crazy but it handled it fine aside from being a slug accelerating. I also recently had an olds 455 block, cam, crank, rods and pistons in the trunk. Easier on the car than the 400lbs of sandblast material.

You should have no problem.

when we went to get my friends new L67, we picked it up in the trunk of his park avenue, not a w-body but same idea, car didn't much like it, but it did it no problem