Ripped my cluster apart today.

99RegalGS

I did it for a reason. lol I wanted to see if the 5 unused pics in my cluster had any use for a HUD that could have been. I also took apart my RKE box. It was right behind the cluster, I couldn't resist not taking it apart. It is MUCH simplier than the 1st gen RKE box. I can thank my BCM for that....

Turns out my cluster the way it is now doesn't have any HUD specific outputs. It might, but it's missing some resistors on the unused circuts.

I also experimented with extending my keyless range. I put a wire onto the end of the antenna and it extended my range by about 50 feet!!! My range before was 5-25' depending on the angle. I'm going to permently mount the wire tomorrow. so I get to rip my dash apart all again. lol

Anyway here are the pics.

http://www.jbarbieri.net/~gsregal/NewRegal/Cluster/index.html

awesome lol...I used to take raondom things apart before..lol, sometimes they never went back together properly though hahahaha

that's sweet about the antenna extending ur keyless range by so much!! i've noticed those stock RKE didn't have very decent range at all...

The distance on GM's modules suck compared to Ford and Chrysler, although they have gotten better. My buddy told me that if you put the fob to your chin and your within the line of sight with the car, your body acts as a giant antenna. There was a a post on ClubGP.

Ohh that RKE box, Rochester Hills is the next city over from me, lol.

The RKE module in my truck has really good range, but it's a newer design than the one from this Regal. It's made by a different company too. Lectron used to be a garage door company, I had no idea they made RKE's for GM! The one for my truck is made by Lear. The gen 1 W-bodies were made by TRW. Old H-bodies had RKE's made by United Technologies Automotive. A lot of the new GMs use RKE's made by Motorola. I guess they go with whoever has the lowest bid.

The RKE module in my truck has really good range, but it's a newer design than the one from this Regal. It's made by a different company too. Lectron used to be a garage door company, I had no idea they made RKE's for GM! The one for my truck is made by Lear. The gen 1 W-bodies were made by TRW. Old H-bodies had RKE's made by United Technologies Automotive. A lot of the new GMs use RKE's made by Motorola. I guess they go with whoever has the lowest bid.

wouldn't doubt it...i still like my aftermarket UNGO unit..not sure the distance, but usually, as long as I can see the car I'm within range..however walls and such cut down on range by a lot..

Lectron used to be a garage door company, I had no idea they made RKE's for GM! The one for my truck is made by Lear.

Funny you mention these 2 companies. Lectron has made electronic modules for Ford for at least 20 years, and once co-owned the company I used to work for (it was called Microtron, and also manufactured many modules for Ford, GM, Chrysler, Delphi, et al.) Lectron is now owned by Eaton. When my old company had one foot in the grave, Lear bought the company out and transferred our production lines to Tampa...

Tony, I put my Fob up to my chin often to get my doors to unlock from more than 10 feet away. lol It does help a lot.

Shawn, would you happen to know if I need to have an antenna at 1/2 or 1/4 of the wavelengh for the best recieption? or is that mainly for transmitters? According to the calculator I found the 1/2 wavelength is 17.8" and 1/4 is 8.9". I'd kinda like to add an antenna longer than that. lol

Steve, I note sure if you'll be able to get that to work with just OBD2. I'm sure you'll need something from the cluster to get it to work.

Well, Im not opposed to hooking the entire cluster up if need be, and just "Hiding" trhe parts I dont need.. If thats what I need to do.. I dont mind it.. I should try finding one of these for cheap and see what I can do :willynilly:

Well, Im not opposed to hooking the entire cluster up if need be, and just "Hiding" trhe parts I dont need.. If thats what I need to do.. I dont mind it.. I should try finding one of these for cheap and see what I can do :willynilly:

The DIC uses parts ALL OVER the cluster to make it work. This is one of those things you'll never get to operate correctly without the entire board behind it.

Might as well resolder your DIC/odometer connections whenever you pull the cluster again.

And for all those of us that do not know this: If you ever lock your remote and your key's in your car, before you break the window or call for help this may help.

Standing beside your car,from a cell,or cordless phone, call home and ask the personne that answer,to press the unlock button on your spare remote,while holding it up by the phone and voila your door unlock just like magic. This is of course as long as you have all the ingredients.

For the sake of arguement I just tried that myself. It doesn't work.

It's scientifically impossible for it to work. RKE units use RF signals, not sound waves. Snopes even did an article on it for Christ's sake.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

Might as well resolder your DIC/odometer connections whenever you pull the cluster again.

Are those the darkened resistors that I took pics of?

Yes.

A year ago or so when I heard about it, I tried it with my son's car and it work, so i tought. Now after reading the Snopes report,and Digitaloutsider comment, I tried it again, making sure I was out of range, and it did not work. Even do I tried the remote the first time,I must still been within range.

Therfore I must agree with the report and Digitaloutsider.And appologise for the inconveniense,caused to some poeple.