Getting my windows tinted Tuesday

gimp19

I'm getting my windows tinted on Tuesday and I have a few ?'s:

What is a good shade that looks pretty dark, but I can also see through at night?

Should I have all my windows execpt the windshield tinted the same?

Am I going to have any problems passing the New York state inspection?

I see alot of minivans and suvs with really dark tint but I think most of them were built with it. I have read that dark factory tint is legal but aftermarket tint is not.

If you want dark, but still wanna be able to see out at night, I'd get 20%.. or 80%.. depends on who you're talking to. Put it this way.. blocks out 80% visible light. Yeah I would tint all windows the same shade. I think it looks stupid when people have the back side/rear really dark, then have the front sides lighter.. retarded. As far as laws, each state is different. Do a search for window tint laws.

Here is what I found for New York.

Windshield: 6"

Front and Rear side windows: 70% visible light transmission.

Rear window: Any.

And it looks like you have to have a sticker on the vehicle indicating that it is legal tinting. In New York, it says this is required between the window tint and glass on each window that is tinted.

Sounds like they're pretty anal about it.

Factory tint is almost always 15%... I'm not sure about NY. but its Illegal in Mass... Still I tinted the windows on my black Z 15% and it looked really good... Legal is 25% up here and most everywhere i think... But its not Dark Lookin.. If i where to do it again i would go 15% just cause it looks good and You can see oouta it but it really cant be seen into... Just my 2 cents..

-Chris

At first I was gonna have all of them tinted pretty dark and all the same shade. Then I read all this crap about if the tint is too dark it will not pass inspection. I would be pissed if I spent $180 for tint and had to get it taken off so I could pass inspection. So it looks like I'm gonna have to go with 70% on the fronts and 20ish on the rears. Is 70% tint even noticable or should I not even bother getting my fronts done?

Thanks for looking that stuff up I couldn't find any info that looked credible untill I went on the DMV web page.

don't even waste your money if you won't pass inspection. Last time I had my windows checked, the factory tint was about 73%. So yeah, you won't even know it's there if you do it at 70.

Well I'm still gonna have the back ones done at around 20%. But first I gotta call the place back up and see how much they are gonna take off the $170 if I dont have my fronts done.

anything other than factory tint is illegal in new york..i've recieved 2 tickets already this year for my tint....

Thats what I thought too untill I went on the NYS DMV website. It says as long as the car has two side view mirrors and only 70% up front its ok.

Question

What are the laws in NYS about tinted vehicle windows?

Answer

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to rear windows unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

If a medical condition requires a person to have tinted vehicle windows, they can request an exemption from the law. Request form MV-80W from a DMV Office or Call Center.

The text of this law is attached below under "File Attachments".

Now that I've read some more I guess I'm not gonna bother with tint at all, this country has some of the stupidest laws. I am so f&^('n pissed off right now.

The thing that really makes no sense is cars can come from the factory with really dark tint but for some reason it cant be aftermarket, whats the differance? It's all about money and control.

"FREEDOM YA' RIGHT!!!!!" -RATM

"This law also applies to rear windows unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle." From the DMV web page.

This makes no sense, to me it sounds like as long as you have two side mirrors you can tint the back windows. WTF

Wisconsin is 50% for front sides. 35% for rear sides and back windows. It says none for front. That technicaly means no tint bar across the top. They must mean aftermarket because the tint bar is normal in most cars. I'd swear I read 20% back window last year but these were 1996 statutes I just read.

Mine has crappy faded purple on rear sides. Bought that way.

If I do it I'd probably have to go with the 35 even in the front sides and risk it. Unless there is a 40-45. Even 50% seems a waste. Roll my windows down when I see a cop!!

rollin the windows down has to be the smartes thin ieve herd bout tints but to bad u cant roll down ur rear n windosheild den u can do w/e u wanted to do

General rules to follow are the rear windshield, quarter glass, and rear door windows (if a sedan) can be as dark as you want in almost any state so long as you have mirrors on both sides of the car (which you do, this is a left-over regulation from the 1950-60s). The driver's side and front passenger can almost always be tinted but states vary on the percent allowed. Windshields generally are not legal to tint exept for the top 6-8" (which looks retarded, unless they fade the tint).

dont feel too bad, the previous ownerof my car must have tinted one window at a time, because my car looks like a patchwork quilt. Every window is a slightly lighter/darker or more purplish tint.

Well I'm just gonna get the 3 back windows done. I've been look'in at alot of cars with factory tint and almost none of them have tint on the 2 front windows. If I got my fronts done I know I'll have problems with the cops and inspection. Does anyone else have problems with cops and inspection for having there windows "illegally tinted"? My biggest worry is having my car fail inspection because the windows have aftermarket tint on them. But as long as I dont get the fronts done I think I should be fine cause most new cars come with fairly dark tint.

Maybe I'm making too big of a deal about this I see alot of cars driving around my area with aftermarket tint.

Well I'm just gonna get the 3 back windows done. I've been look'in at alot of cars with factory tint and almost none of them have tint on the 2 front windows. If I got my fronts done I know I'll have problems with the cops and inspection. Does anyone else have problems with cops and inspection for having there windows "illegally tinted"? My biggest worry is having my car fail inspection because the windows have aftermarket tint on them. But as long as I dont get the fronts done I think I should be fine cause most new cars come with fairly dark tint.

Maybe I'm making too big of a deal about this I see alot of cars driving around my area with aftermarket tint.

I have not done tinting my front windows before and just the rear windows. Let us say you decide to tint your front window and go to inspection, could you just lower both your front windows all the way down while they are inspecting your car so they won't see it?

Thanks for the input, I went with 50% on the fronts and 35% on the rears. I wasn't gonna just have the backs done cause it would have costed $150 for them and the fronts were only $20 more because it came in a package.