Blinkers and fluid ? wtf

Singh

Hey i already searched the forum because i know the blinker switch is a pain in the ass on every w body it seems like, well today for the first time driving my gtp on the road i can tell you already the blinkers arent going to last a month, so i must do it asap.

Now i searched the forums and found some info but im very confused, WTF is blinekr fluid, it sounds like a joke, and if it isnt, where does it go lol.

and i heard about standard and digital? idk its confusing, and the flasher is something else than the switch it self?

well the prob i have is the blinkers are going VERY VERY slow, they blink regulare twice or so and then blink reaal slow, and when the wheel is turned a certin amount to the right or left the blinker jsut gets stuck on and doesnt blink, that sucks !

ok So im going to buy a switch, how much do they run for and i got the gtp with them radio buttons the wheel, is it going to be a pain in the ass? and is it hard to not fuck up the airbag? i changd, well i hacked my olds blink siwtch and we ruined the airbag, well was to afraid to plug it back in cuz we tweaked the module for the airbag in the colum lol.

And if you thnkk the flasher is messed up and not the switch or both, let me know ! thanks !

:smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

Okay, Edit:

There is no such thing as Blinker Fluid..

..And most of the issues with the turn signals stem mainly from the switches in the Gen 1s.. I had the same issue with my 90 Lumina, and I went to the salvage yard, snipped the wires from a donor car's switch, came home, pulled my steering wheel, snipped the old one out, stripped/soldered the new, and the thing worked great until the car was wrecked

I'm beside myself with shame!

Jeremy, I apologize! I just ordered 3 bottles

One for the 94, one for Danys achieva, and one for the Vert..

..Its on back order, but theyt assure me it is comoing back in stock very soon

Hmm, back to the problem at hand, next time it's blinking slowly try pulling towards you on the blinker stalk like you're going to flip on your high beams, but don't pull it that far. Just slightly and see if it improves things. Sometimes the connections get dirty in the switch itself, you can disassemble and clean/rebend the contacts. I've had to do that to almost every W I own and they're good for years.

thats hilareous!!!!!

back to issue on hand, yes pulling back on the stalk may improve performance, revealing a need for bending a and cleaning the contacts.

but... stevezasycho, stevezasycho, stevezasycho... there is no need to cut and solder any wires when you replace the switch... the connector is snapped into the steering column connector. Column connector is held by a 7mm bolt, unscrew it, disconnect the connector and pull the connector loose... and then the you'll see two modular plugs, one for the turn signal switch, one for the wipers. flex the correct one out, and push. it will release.

To fix the switch, cleaning contacts would be my first step. then trying another flasher unit. I have only had to replace one switch, and that is because it melted... but I've removed, serviced, and reinstalled a few :)

the flasher unit is located on the right side of the bracket directly above the brake pedal. btw.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

some of you guys......

for the others, thanks alot for the help , i kinda figured that was a joke but ti was strange everyone in the past threads talking about it so seriously rofl.

Ok well i'll do that then with the cleaning and flasher.

Column connector is held by a 7mm bolt

You're wrong, brother! It's an 8mm bolt :razz: .

I just changed my switch last week, and made note of it in my write-up...

...which by the way can be found at http://tss.likeabigdog.com

And you also forgot to mention that there are 2 blue clips on the side of the "bulkhead" connector that retain both the wiper and signal switch harnesses that need to come out first :razz: ...

Column connector is held by a 7mm bolt

You're wrong, brother! It's an 8mm bolt :razz: .

I just changed my switch last week, and made note of it in my write-up...

...which by the way can be found at http://tss.likeabigdog.com

And you also forgot to mention that there are 2 blue clips on the side of the "bulkhead" connector that retain both the wiper and signal switch harnesses that need to come out first :razz: ...

:lol: I think the square columns had 7mm bolts and the saginaw column ones had 8 mm bolts. and blue plastic thingies? I've never seen one on any car that I have messed with.

p.s. excellent write-up! I should do one for the older column, If I can find someone who would support it.

p.s. excellent write-up! I should do one for the older column, If I can find someone who would support it.

I'll host it for ya! Type something up, snap some pics, and send 'er my way. I've been wanting to do a write-up for the square columns for a while now, but I've got to wait 'till the one on my parent's 92 Cutty Convert goes out before I can get to it (they're the only people I know that have a W-Body that old :lol: ...)

I'll host it for ya! Type something up, snap some pics, and send 'er my way. I've been wanting to do a write-up for the square columns for a while now, but I've got to wait 'till the one on my parent's 92 Cutty Convert goes out before I can get to it (they're the only people I know that have a W-Body that old :lol: ...)

Ok, I'm down with that. will you support the pics as well?

you WILL have to wait till I return to Indy (who knows when that will happen!) so i can rebuild a column that needs service.

so much knowledge, so little time.

I also plan to do write-ups on other info, such as hvac(heater core, evapator, ac service and more), huds, dics, overhead consoles and stuff... any chance those items would be hostable by you?

(I would like to get multiple hosting sites, I've talked to gnatgosplat on the same idea of hosting on the main page)

man!! I would change out the flasher first. It is a $3 to $5 option that you just unplug the old and plug in the new. That would be a whole lot more logical than removing the airbag/steering wheel first. They are talking about the contacts under the steering wheel.

Just my 2 cents.

man!! I would change out the flasher first. It is a $3 to $5 option that you just unplug the old and plug in the new. That would be a whole lot more logical than removing the airbag/steering wheel first. They are talking about the contacts under the steering wheel.

Just my 2 cents.

But wouldn't it be even more logical to pull towards yourself on the stalk to see if you need to take the steering wheel off? It's free and quite a bit easier than accessing the flasher.