Front and Rear Strut Tower Bar (Brace)

AWeb80

I got my front one off Ebay. However, I think it can be had a either gmpartsdirect or gmperformance parts. I adapted my rear one out of a front STB off of a 92 Bonneville SSEI

Robby

I got my front one off Ebay. However, I think it can be had a either gmpartsdirect or gmperformance parts. I adapted my rear one out of a front STB off of a 92 Bonneville SSEI

Robby, on the rear, did you have to shorten it and get a different bolt pattern to install? Seems interesting and worth the effort to do.

- RedFox340

Okay, heres what I did. The bonnevill brace is 3 parts. Where it bolts to the tower is a piece, on each side then a bar that connect those two pieces. Now, the holes that are in each of the pieces that go on the tower, "pretty much" line up with two studs that stick up on the rear towers. The only problem is the middle nut, that holds the strut, sticks up too much, and doesnt allow the brace to sit squarely on the strut tower. So, I had to cut out some of the brace to allow for the nut. The holes on the brace had to be opened up a little to reach the outer studs. So, I did that on both sides. Now, the bar that came with the brace, is actually too short. In fact about 2.5in too short. So, I had a friend who is a welder at home, get some new 1in square hollow steel (the same as the original bar was), and cut it my lenght. Then I simply bolted the the braces to the two outer strut bolts (they are 3/8in bolts) and are very hard to attache a nut to, I didnt strip anything out, its just a tight fit. Then bolted the middle bar up and I was done. Since I got the original bar for ~$10, and all the cuttin I did myself it wasnt bad.

Now, the car with both front and rear STBs handles like a dream. I mean, my inner tie rod on the drivers side is a little loose, I mean, it wont hold an alignment very long, but it still drives straight. But puttin the rear stb on makes the car extremely responsive and it feels about 10X more safer to corner in.

Robby

Robby

what are the parts numbers for the gm websites?

gmpartsdirect.com

price went up from $7.xx to $9.xx

DESCRIPTION: STRUT BAR KIT(ONE BAR KIT ONLY)

For use on 1999 - 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo; 2000 - 2002 Chevrolet Impala; 1997 - 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. These are production Buick strut tower braces designed to minimize body flex. The kit includes ONE strut tower braces, hardware, and installation instructions. (THE HIGH PERFORMANCE CATALOG IS INCORRECT) If you want the kit that includes two of these braces it is part number 12498648

If I get the kit for both of them, will one of them fit in the trunk for the rear struts?

if you use one for the rear struts, Im pretty sure it wont be long enough to connect the TOPS of the strut towers. However, you could mount it on the sides of the towers, it might be long enough then

Robby

i checked, it's a stretch to think thatll work. its too narrow(the bar) to reach the bolts and its even too narrow to get a good bite on the meaty plate steel part of the mount.

Maybe, this weekend, I can take my rear one off, and take some pictures of the brace, and what I had to do to it to make it work. And, get some dimensions of the whole thing. Anyone interesed? Remember its from a 92 Bonneville SSEI. If any are interested, I'll do it, if not, I wont, cuz its a PITA to take off.

Robby

gmpartsdirect.com

price went up from $7.xx to $9.xx

Gizz, is that for the 1997+ W-Bodies? Is so, that WON'T fit over the DOHC's. Try it, and lost $20 bucks.

Maybe, this weekend, I can take my rear one off, and take some pictures of the brace, and what I had to do to it to make it work. And, get some dimensions of the whole thing. Anyone interesed? Remember its from a 92 Bonneville SSEI. If any are interested, I'll do it, if not, I wont, cuz its a PITA to take off.

Would like both pics and dimensions... please. :D Thank you!

- RedFox340

i have a DOHC, clears the EGR by 1/4"

WHAT? How? Need details. I found one myself in town, tried to test it out and it'll goes "through" the intake plenum if installed. Then, just to double check, I pulled the Monte STB and it's the same... won't fit.

- RedFox340

that's the bar part # i listed above, installed as you're supposed to. dunno if your car has the plates on the towers or not, but i had that bar on the car when i had the 3.1 and put it right back on again, those pics are the day i put the 3.4 in the car. used all factory mounts and such, the motor isnt lower than it was in the donor car or anything.

Ok, you guys are really convincing me that these braces are gonna make the car feel better. so i wanna get them how much and where? for the 2.8, anyways can i order them through the dealership? or off the net?

where can i get the one for the trunk? that fits

yeah, and this weekend, Ima take pics of how to adapt a 92 Bonneville SSEI Front STB to the rear strut towers. That was posted earlier

Robby