hood louvers for aesthetics only?

Singh

Hey i was taking my louvers off today to repaint them fresh and i noticed it seems like they arent really functional, has anyone noticed this? Are they supopsed to be like that or is because they are just simply for looks and thats all ?

They are functional...

There is enough of a gap around the edges to allow air out, keep in mind the way they work is the wind going over the top of them sucks air out. If you drive for a while and put your hand over top of it you will feel heat pooring out of them.

What I intend to do is either completely cut out the bottom of the drip pan, or at least widen the slots with my dremel tool. I've just been worried about water dripping down and doing damage, but apparently that doesn't matter, Q-balls don't have any pan under them and he has yet to have any issues.

Jamie

They're functional, but could benefit some if you opened up slits in the drip trays more/added more slits(the TGP & 91-93 style louvers have different style trays..they're open all the way across the front and then have longer slits on the side. On my TGP, you can see heat pouring out of them on a hot day or after running the car hard.). If I were modifying 94-96 style louvers, I would cut them in the same fashion as the stock slits, I would not hack up the actual part of the drip tray(unless you garage the car or don't drive in the rain a lot. I don't know about you, but I don't like bolts and such under the hood to start getting nasty surface rust on them...).

EDIT: Pictures of how I would modify a 94-96 style drip tray w/o hacking up the actual "drip tray."

View of the drip tray from the bottom w/ stock slits visible.

http://home.alltel.net/mfewtrail/images/tray.jpg

How I would modify the tray on each side(make the cuts exactly like the stock slits only, I wouldn't cut out any of the bottom that's there to catch the water). I drawed lines & listed approximate lengths I would cut out at each section shown. With the way I have them planned to cut, you would not lose any mounting tab positions.

http://home.alltel.net/mfewtrail/images/tray1.jpg

http://home.alltel.net/mfewtrail/images/tray2.jpg

EDITED AGAIN: I added a line to the first picture showing that the ridge where the stock slits are cut are approximately 1/2'' wide, you could cut out a little under a 1/2'' of that width to open those holes up more, but if you cut down the slight ridge there, more water could potentially run out of the trays at that point.

I too believe they are functional and originally had a purpose. I believe with all the extra exhaust piping, TGP's did get hotter under the hood and the venting of that hot air was beneficial. As for the 3.4L ones, while they do work, they are there for aesthetics only, otherwise all these 3.4L DOHC Grand Prix SE's would be balls of melted plastic.

Makes sense. Turbo Buick Regals have a turbo bump on the hood...originally there to actually make space under the hood to keep the heat from the turbo from pealing the paint on the hood...by 86-87, the turbo had moved but they kept the hood...just because it looks bad ass....so it's all good.

I too believe they are functional and originally had a purpose. I believe with all the extra exhaust piping, TGP's did get hotter under the hood and the venting of that hot air was beneficial. As for the 3.4L ones, while they do work, they are there for aesthetics only, otherwise all these 3.4L DOHC Grand Prix SE's would be balls of melted plastic.

Makes sense. Turbo Buick Regals have a turbo bump on the hood...originally there to actually make space under the hood to keep the heat from the turbo from pealing the paint on the hood...by 86-87, the turbo had moved but they kept the hood...just because it looks bad ass....so it's all good.

good info

i completely cut out the plastic on mine without any problems. it gets dirtier under the hood faster, but no problems. of course, i live in a dry climate, so rust isnt much of a problem. i could see some bolts/nuts getting a little rusty in some places.

Mine are actually quite functional plus taking it slow and doing a good job, they look quite nice as well...

Sorry, the hood is off the car so it was kinda hard to get a good picture by myself without having it fall on the Trans-Am... :nono:

hood_small.jpg

Hole saw and high speed grinder....I won't mention the drip tray's "awesome" ability to catch water still :lol:

haha so far I haven't had any problems with water getting into my engine... I have a louvred hood, but no louvres/drip pans or anything like that, just holes in my hood...

I have been meaning to go through and reconnect a few wires that look like they need a better connection if they are going to be exposed to water, but this is a great thread because some questions I have had have been answered, too.

Thanks guys.

Hopefully I'll get some louvres. Money, damnit. Need it.

excellent well since this is my daily driver i'll keep the pan and jsut make more vents on the side if mi bored but i already put them back on after repainting them so who knows, thanks alot for the info guys ! :mrgreen:

I did actually notice a little difference in the running temperature of my Z34 when I didn't and when I did have the drip trays in. I'm sure a non-vented hood does keep in the heat quite a bit more than a vented hood, but definately not near enough to melt anything.

Mine are actually quite functional plus taking it slow and doing a good job, they look quite nice as well...

Sorry, the hood is off the car so it was kinda hard to get a good picture by myself without having it fall on the Trans-Am... :nono:

Hole saw and high speed grinder....I won't mention the drip tray's "awesome" ability to catch water still :lol:

Did your remove the little rubber gasket that fits around the edges of the hood where the louver holes are cut Brian? I'm always having to pop that shitty rubber back into place on my car every time I open the hood...kinda tempted to throw it in the trashcan since my car is garaged anyways and doesn't see rain very often.

That's something i've wondered on mine... It has the makeshift ram air thingies on the hood brought to you by the SE appearance package, do they actually do anything? :redface:

//end hijack :-p

Did your remove the little rubber gasket that fits around the edges of the hood where the louver holes are cut Brian? I'm always having to pop that shitty rubber back into place on my car every time I open the hood...kinda tempted to throw it in the trashcan since my car is garaged anyways and doesn't see rain very often.

We left it on, it wasn't in bad enough shape that required it to be taken off if I remember correctly. My car doesn't really see much rain either, just car washes, yeah it gets wet under the hood but no where that should cause issues...