location of water temp sensor?

Lee

It's the one just below the thermostat right? Pionts towards the firewall.

I pulled a sensor from a Lumina Euro 3.1 with 89k in the junkyard. It was much cleaner (on the outside) than mine but on my 13 mile drive to work It never showed on the digital scale (one bar at 110F). I'm the one who just put in the UB3 cluster.

The Euro had the temp gage. I'll have to play with the connector next but we just started to get our scheduled 3 days of rain. Meanwhile I'm wondering about my fans. If the original is just a switch that turns on the HOT idiot light on the base cluster, what sensor reads the variable temp to kick the fans on at perscribed temps?

My original switch said PED and 75 on the black part of the unit. The one I pulled said PED 62. Other than that they looked exactly the same. Perhaps they stuck a switch type sensor in it before it died and I just pulled the same kind as mine?

I pulled the wrong sensor didn't I.

If you were getting the sensor for the dash gauge then it was on the back side of the motor under the EGR valve. Should have taken a 15mm wrench to get it loose and have only one green wire. If you pulled the one from the side of the thermostat housing then that is the one the ECM uses to turn the fans on and off. It does not send any signal to the cluster.

Yep, Whiskey is right, there's 2 Coolant Temp. Sensors in the majority of our engines. One at the top rear, near the firewall and EGR valve, and the other being the one you already replaced. The one you replaced just connects to the ECM, and the other to the dash/gauges.

Back to the yard. The guy gave it to me free, wonder if he'll think I'm an idiot when I go back. I doubt he'll give me it free this time. I need to take a jack and get the oil sensor too this time.

Unless I find some compeling reason to change the one back to original, I'm going to leave it in. I don't know that the numbers '75 vs. 62' mean anything. It was a 3.1 I didn't know the year. Other than being smashed and full of clothes It looked in good shape. 89k miles.

It has a pig tail on it right? 10 inches or so. Like an O2 sensor. That should make it fun.

Thanks, Lee

Correct, it is on the back of the engine, under the EGR valve, should be a single green wire coming off it.