Pontiac GP GT, 3.1L mpfi == WON'T START AT TIMES ==

Seb

Hey everyone,

What's going on? Anyways This is my first post on w-body.com. May I say that the site is the best!!! Well I was just about to go out. so I hopped in my "white beast" and turn the ignition.

I can hear the pump going, then turn the key all the way and hear the starter but the car won't start! It did that in the past (fall 2002) and I brought it to the garage. After doing some tests, they conclude that it was the Ignition Module that was bad, so they "replaced it" I put replaced it in brackets because the week after it wouldn't start again so i brought it BACK and they said that the Fuel Ignition that they put in was defective. so they put a new one. And i haven't really got any problems with it untill the past few months. one day out of the blue, it won't start. I did disconect the Module and reconect it, won't work. Disconect the Fuel pump relay and fuse waited 30 sec. and reconnect it, Won't work. I did disconnect the negative site of the battery once, waited 15 minutes and it worked. But i don't want to do that every single time!!!!

I was thinking the ignition module again but gosh, 3 times :? , then i was thinking the spark plugs and wired that i might want/have to replace, or maybee my fuel pump is acting up but i can hear it go. I was going to replace the fuel filter since the last time it was changed was probably 5 or 6 years ago. And i dont' want it to be the computer... they must go pretty dam expensive!

Any suggestion???

Meanwhile, i'm gonna go try more stuff, it's a beautiful day outside at least!

I just disconected the negative post of the battery and wait 15 mins. then i'm going to reconnect it to see if it works...

Soo see you all in 15 mins.

Is it throwing codes? You could have a severe vacuum leak. OR, your crank position sensor could be out. When the crank sensor goes, you dont get any spark, that would explain why they thought your ICM was bad. Im going to say crank sensor

Robby

Cars that have problems mainly during and after rain, usually has problem with the ignition wires.

Ignition components and ignition wires which are damped or damaged will have this kind of symptom.

You may have to replace all your wires if you have not replaced it for a long time, but for now remove the all the ignition wires one at a time and clean it with a dry cloth and reconnect it. It would be a good idea to wipe dry other ignition components. Hair dryer might do the trick to quickly dry them up.

Is it throwing codes? You could have a severe vacuum leak. OR, your crank position sensor could be out. When the crank sensor goes, you dont get any spark, that would explain why they thought your ICM was bad. Im going to say crank sensor

Robby

I'm with Robby on this one... at face value it's sounds like it could be the common W-Body problem of the Crank Position sensor. Check what Robby stated and get back to this thread.

- RedFox340

Last time i checked, i had no trouble code... But i could check again... I GOT THE CAR WORKING BY THE WAY!!! i replugged the battery, played with the fuel pump fuse, sum connectors and tryed some other stuff and it started... had no problem after that and it's 9:30 at night... So i dunno, it's probably like robby1870 said about the crank position sensor, because i know one time, i turned the key in the ignition and it wouldn't do anything... not even a click so i shif the transmission on Neutral and tryed again and it worked... so that's got to be a sensor problem for that...