help??

stlunatics2oo3

okay my car is bein weird well not my car my ignition system i put the key in the ignition and go to turn it over and nothing and then i take the key out and do it agian it fires right up, any ideas and if it is a serious problem let me kno how to fix it !

thanks

jeremy

OR, the sensor in the lock cylinder is wearing out. My friends car is doing the same thing. Just something else to think about

Robby

if the digital part of the cluster goes blank when you put it into the start position, Im guessing that rules out the switch, but rather than forget about it, we can put it on the back burner after you replace the starter LOL

yeah yeah yeah ............ :wink: just adding an additional cause, IN CASE fixing the starter in bad. But, I do think that prolly the solenoid on the starter is going out

Robby

do you have to take the key right out? or just turn it to off? Same thing was happening to me, except I only had to turn the key to off... Took my starter out (bitch of a job) inspected it.... couldn't get the solenoid off. :roll: put it back in and it's been good since then. Sounds like it's probably the bendix on the starter sticking, which is engaged by the solenoid. :P

Mine was the solenoid but they said it was cheaper to replace the starter and solenoid as a unit. Sometimes I'd have to sit and play with the key for 10-15 minutes. For a couple years it wouldn't want to start if I had the wheels turned when I shut it off. Which led me to think it was in the switch. Then it got worse.

They replaced the solenoid and starter over a year ago...been fine ever since.

It could also be loose electrical connections that get welded(spark) during the first firing of the ignition switch and then cranks right up the second time.

So, just check all the main electrical cable connections and then check the starter/solenoid.

Protect your starter/solenoid with a heat shield. Check this site.

http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=11&s=223&p=1922&searchtype=ecat