Engine Very Warm

AWeb80

WHen i was driving through town today, about40-45 mph. My Temp guage was at about 230-240 and i'm a bit worried that something is wrong. If i put a 160 degree thermostat in there, how will that affect stuff, good and bad. I have already wired a switch to my secondary fan for warm days, but it was maybe 70 today, not that warm, and i didn't have the switch on so the fan would run because I had my stereo turned up (I have 2 amps and subs) and didn't want to make my alt. work hard. Please let me know what i can do for diagnostic stuff.

Thanks in advance.

when was the last time you changed your coolant? If its been a while change it. And, your temperature sender could be broke, but that is just if everything else doesnt work

Robby

My coolant was changed at 77,XXX miles and I now have 97,000 miles. I think it has been at least a year and a half since it was changed.

They have recommended to me many times to flush out the coolent once a year. Especially if your not running Dex-Cool. I do it every 15,000 or year whichever comes first.

Troubleshooting an overheating problem can take a bit of time, but a couple of things not to overlook would be that if it were a faulty thermostat, it is supposed to stay open, so you can rule that out unless there's an obstruction. If the overheating problem is occurring primarily at low speeds, the fans could be suspect. At high speeds, coolant flow problems probably exist - either due to obstruction, or a bad water pump. Another possibility could be that the system may not have been properly bled of air from its last coolant change. I might check things over in the following order:

- Check for proper automatic fan operation (relay and/or motor)

- Re-bleed the coolant system

- Obstruction can be difficult to find so a thermostat then coolant

I would not recommend changing the thermostat to a 160 until you find the problem. If the situation continues and the current thermostat isn't the problem, the new 160 degree thermostat won't help much to resolve the situation.

For those who have a 160 deg. thermostat - How does that affect the way the rest of the car/engine works? will it make it run wierd? Will it mess with the computer?

For those who have a 160 deg. thermostat - How does that affect the way the rest of the car/engine works? will it make it run wierd? Will it mess with the computer?

No, the ECM won't flip out on you; the coolant will circulate more often, keeping the relative tempreture of the coolant (and even the engine bay) cooler. You'll *feel* more responsive throttle since the best configuration to get power out of an engine is at running temp, with cold air and cool coolant. I need to change mine this summer...

- RedFox340