I got that parts car.

Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

I took it for a drive. The engine runs great. However there is a very loud rattling coming from the tranny. Also, it won't shift out of first. I can gun it, and the tires spin and it grabs very strong, so it isn't slipping. The fluid looked fine, I added some lucas. If i gun it from a dead stop, it'll go to 40 and then stop, if i just leisurely drive about, it won't top 25 max. Also, reverse is out. Anyone have an idea what is wrong with the tranny? BTW, parts are now available for the taking.

I'll have to dig out my receipts for my GTP's many trans repairs, but IIRC, the reaction drum is a metal band, with teeth on the inside diameter of it that engage the gears on the output shaft to the diff.

What you describe is exactly what was diagnosed as what blew up on my third transmission.

StockShell.jpg

This is one that split on a 700R4

Shafte.jpg

This an upgraded one, for a 700R4 by Raptor Transmissions, looking into the drum. The small hole at the end, with the splines is what usually seperates on the stocker, allowing the entire upper part of the assembly to spin, locking the trans in 1st gear on forward input