oil pressure switch/sensor, installation of DIC

Green97SL

after looking at all of the wiring i would have to do to install the gauges cluster in my car, i decided it wasn't worth all of the trouble. however, is it possible to install the driver info center without having to piggy-back the old ecm?

As far as the gauges go, i decided to get a oil pressure gauge and voltmeter instead. i just bought them today, but i havent' had a chance to look under the hood for anything yet (it's getting dark out..). anywho, would my car ('97 supreme) have a swich or a sensor? either way, i think i'd have to use a t-fitting to use my new electric oil pressure gauge and keep the car's computer happy. where would i find the oil pressure sensor/switch? anything else i should look out for? all i have to run from the sensor is a single wire to the gauge, and the usual power/illumination wiring. i think i'll install them below my stereo (aftermarket) by attaching an aluminum plate the the stereo install kit that extends down into the pocket below the radio. i'll post pics once it's all done.

As far as the gauges go, i decided to get a oil pressure gauge and voltmeter instead. i just bought them today, but i havent' had a chance to look under the hood for anything yet (it's getting dark out..). anywho, would my car ('97 supreme) have a swich or a sensor? either way, i think i'd have to use a t-fitting to use my new electric oil pressure gauge and keep the car's computer happy. where would i find the oil pressure sensor/switch? anything else i should look out for? all i have to run from the sensor is a single wire to the gauge, and the usual power/illumination wiring.

The stock OPS (oil pressure sending / sensor) unit is right next to the oil filter on the spindle. On many there should be a plug in to disconnect it from the wiring harness... but you won't need that. Stating that you bought an electric oil pressure gauge, you should be able to tap into the wiring of the OPS if that's what the gauge call for. The original OPS does send out a voltage signal to the instrument panel so when the voltage "drops" (assuming) the "LOW OIL PRESSURE" light turns on. That's the way I would start off. Otherwise, refer to the installation directions that came with the gauge.

As for the DIC, your car doesn't have the wiring harness to splice into... sorry. Good idea though... you could try, but that's a wiring nightmare I'm not willing to get into.

- RedFox340