Talk about a deal. 90 TGP

90RedTGP

I picked up a TGP on ebay and today i got to look her over and DAMN. Well worth 610 dollars. All she needed was a new brake pedal and she'll be coming home.

Former owner did everything 1K miles ago. Plugs, Wires, Engine fluids. Turbo is probably on it's last legs tho with 174K miles. Not sure if it's the original.

I picked up a TGP on ebay and today i got to look her over and DAMN. Well worth 610 dollars. All she needed was a new brake pedal and she'll be coming home.

Former owner did everything 1K miles ago. Plugs, Wires, Engine fluids. Turbo is probably on it's last legs tho with 174K miles. Not sure if it's the original.

Does it have the Jeff M chip? Hows the crossover?

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Everything looked stock. What i meant is that the stock turbo has probably been replaced by another T25. :lol:

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Everything looked stock. What i meant is that the stock turbo has probably been replaced by another T25. :lol:

Ahh... Ok. Well, does it sound like there is an exhaust tick in the engine bay? You ought to pull the ecm cover off to see if it has the Jeff M chip. I hear is helps those cars greatly!

Slick,

Any numbers with the Jeff M chip? shitloads of torque?

No idea on stock vs. Jeff M. chipped added. I'm just going off the top of my head about what TGP members had to say about it.

Hopefully one of them will chime in soon.

the chip adds around 30hp in most cases. stock numbers are 205hp 225tq(I've been away so long i barely remembered the tq)

Marcus,

How difficult are larger turbo upgrades?

Marcus,

How difficult are larger turbo upgrades?

There are a few larger turbochargers that are simply a bolt-on matter as far as physically getting it in the engine bay. Custom tuning + larger injectors would be a good idea unless you're only wanting to run a real low amount of boost from a larger turbo(that would be no fun though, so upgrade those injectors and use some method of "tuning" whether it's using the computer or other methods to ensure proper fueling to support more power),

Also, stock TGP numbers state 205hp, 225 ft-lbs(rated at a ridiculously low 2100rpms). The real torque peak is in the neighborhood of 3500 rpms and stock TGP's really make around 260-270 ft-lbs of torque. A manual boost controller adds about 60 ft-lbs of peak torque on these cars(the stock computer controlled setup ramps up boost at a controlled rate, w/ the MBC, you will achieve instant spool due to the T25 being really small on a relatively good sized V6 engine). There are a few dyno charts in the "powertrain section" here of various TGP's, you'll be able to spot the ones running manual boost controllers from the larger peak torque figures.

Guest TurboSedan

on the W-body.com homepage it says somewhere that "250hp" is the limit for the stock TGP turbo. i'd say that's pretty accurate. i made 227whp on the stock turbo fwiw...and 325wtq @ 3200RPM. stock turbocharger, intercooler, injectors etc etc. i think what helped most was the MBC and the 5-speed swap (less drivetrain loss). that was also at 12psi...about the highest you'd want to push the stock turbo.

i just read that kuntzie is pushing 15psi on his new turbo (GT2871R IIRC). damn, i would love to see that thing on the dyno! i think Jud has the biggest bolt-on turbo available (GT3076R-WG). it wasn't completely bolt-on since he had to grind down the DP (BIG turbine wheel) but that's pretty much as big as you can go unless you build a crossover pipe with a T3 flange.

good luck getting the brakes fixed. if you get lucky it might just be a bad accumulator but then again you might need a new PMIII master cylinder and that is some money. you could ditch the PMIII ABS system and use vacuum brakes like other W-bodies have but it's pretty involved.

Thanks for the posts guys. Seller is towing it up here for me for 125 dollars. Yeah i know it sucks but it saves me a lot of time and aggravation.

Back to the TGP. If the crossover pipe is the only thing limiting the size of the turbo. Can't someone fab up a larger one? What about our stock exhaust manifolds? How do they flow? Has anyone ported them?

How about our exhaust? Clogged up with excess cats and small pipe?

Thanks again and i'm sure i'll have a million more questions