Hood woes

93CutlassSupreme

Hello,

I've been having trouble with my hood lately. My hood release cable is not broken, but when i pull on the hood release, the hood doesn't release and "pop up" enough to let me disengage it from the latch.

I searched, http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,28842.0.html and found this thread, but my cable isn't broken, so it doesn't seem like that method will work.

Even if the cable is not broken, you could still try and open up the hood from underneith. I have done this on my vehicles a few times because I was too lazy to unlock them :lol:

Even if the cable is not broken, you could still try and open up the hood from underneith. I have done this on my vehicles a few times because I was too lazy to unlock them :lol:

Isnt that normally more work to go under the car and release the latch? :lol:

yes that method works fine. My lumina had a brokne cable had to do the same. If the cable is not broken, you may be able to come up with an adjustable clamp to install on the cable to shorten it.

i've found a good doucheing of pb blaster into the cable sheath from the inside of the car helps immensely. i think due to the location it gets water down in in from rain, shoes, etc... and freezes up inside the sheath, and is a large contributor to the broken hood release handle that plagues these things.

Kevin, where have you been?

And out of fucking NOWHERE Kevin P Dennis has a hood problem!

Kevin Ladies and Gentlemen.. Welcome back :willynilly:

Well, I've been living life as best I can.

Because Michigan is an Affirmative Action state, and the fact that I am a White Male, I was laid off from my job at the end of June, 5 days shy of 90 days on the job, and a permanant position. A Mexican Woman, who had been suspended from work twice, and had less time on the job than I, worked in the same department and was not laid off.

For the last 4 years, a job has been eliminated from Michigan every 20 minutes; I guess it was my turn to be shit on once again.

Anyways, because of that, I haven't been doing much. I haven't had $300 spare dollars in almost a year to get the Sunfire running yet, and it is now sitting in a storage garage. The Cutlass has been our only car since October, and I haven't had any major issues, just the typical bullshit W-body problems.

I've given a few members some calls, but I haven't recieved any replies.

Anyways, take care all.

also consider that the cable has probably streatched some over the years, so i tmay be just too far stretched to pull the little dealie to pop the hood up.

Spray the shit out of the latch assembly with brake cleaner and work it back and forth by hand. After it's clean and dry spray it with white lithium grease. Work it around some more. Then shut the hood and try pulling the release inside the car.

Have somebody push on the hood, when you pull on the hood release.

Cable is stretched or the release needs some lubrication...