CONVERTIBLE IMPALA?

bigshynepo

I was driving today in my normally-pretty-bunk-when-it-comes-to-unique-cars city when I saw an Impala coming towards me. The car was white but I notices the roof was off white. When I drove past, I looked in my rearview to see that it had a plastic (looking; it could've been dirty glass) window and the top was vinyl or cloth!!!

So either this was a Carriage top Impala (never seen on before and carriage tops are extremely rare in Canada due to the winters) or a Convertible!!!!! No pics because my camera isn't working and I was in rush hour but now my w-body radar is on high alert.

I know this thread is a little useless without pics but can anyone shed any light on this enigma?

:leaving:

Probably a dealer optioned landau

Thats my thoughts, and I wish I got a closer look, but it's super duper rare to even see a Lincoln Town Car or a 90's Cadillac ETC up here and I know they're all over the southern states. I saw a few newer buick landaus (mmm riviera) in kentucky and indiana, but there is a snowballs chance in hell of seeing that up here. But I have NEVER ever seen a carriage/landau top option for an w-body Impala in ebay, classifieds, on the road or on the forum...

Then again, I've never heard of a convertible w-body impala...call it wishful thinking I guess :mrgreen:

I've seen a couple of them. I've even seen a 1st gen W Grand Prix with a cloth cover on the roof. And some Tauruses and LeSabres. I guess the older customers like em or something.

-Jason

Usually a car thats new with one has had roof damage during shipment making it cheaper than a repaint.

or

Someone wanted to ghetto pimp their pimpmobile.

I remember my first "OMG CONVERTABLE GRAN PREE" post. :lol: No seriously, I did something just like this when I started posting. I got used to seeing vinyl top GP's and Regals.

Someone while I was working shouted (think of a California valley girl speaking) "OMIGOD look at that car! it has a sunroof in it's convertable top" it was W-body 2 door regal :lol:

hmmm come some pics I have to locate......

At a junk yard I always go to, there is a 1st Gen Lumina 2 door, it has silver paint, and a gray leather looking landau/carriage top on it. Every time I see it I think about how odd it is. Wierd combo, it definetly is a dealer option because the top had white faced Chevrolet bowtie emblems on it where the top curves down the side near the rear glass.

I got to thinking too that the last time there was a 4 door convertible on the market was before my lincoln was built.

Did you say "Convertible 4 Door?" Check dis sheeat:

CLICKIE

CLICKIE

Tell me the Cutty Convert wasn't an inspiration!

At a junk yard I always go to, there is a 1st Gen Lumina 2 door, it has silver paint, and a gray leather looking landau/carriage top on it. Every time I see it I think about how odd it is. Wierd combo, it definetly is a dealer option because the top had white faced Chevrolet bowtie emblems on it where the top curves down the side near the rear glass.

I HAVE PICS OF THIS CAR!!! at pick n parts, right? I'll post them asap.

CONVERTIBLE CHARGER!?! :eek:

No one will want a mustang now... but those are BAD ASS with the 4 doors. Bad Diddly-Ass.

I wonder if the roll bar is structural or fake like the cobras...

Those verts will hold their value well...

Yep, the "carriage top" is what you saw. I had rarely seen such a top on a car until I moved to NY. There are tons of them here, on everything from Maximas to Town Cars to Grand Ams :willynilly:

You probably saw something like this:

Pillingsscan4.jpg

^^^

that one looks like shit compared to the one that I was talking about :lol:

Click here to see a hot 300C 'vert

the finish work on those other ones is not very good. looks like threw some bars on there and covered it with a leather tarp. that west coast customs one is a lot of work. everything looks good and tucked in.

I read this post last night, and then today I noticed quite a few carriage top cars. One insanely mint first gen Lum, white with a blue top. Then a white mid 90s Bonne with a black top, plus a newer Impala grey with a black top. They seem to be everywhere here in NY. Ik ive seen them on some tauruses to.

that front end (headlights) reminds me of a bentley cont gt that I saw a few days ago, in WI none the less..

and a conv. charger is just ugly..we have a black on black 3.5HO sitting in the garage beneath me that cost less than half of those lame ass verts, and it looks a hundred times better..if you want a vert buy a mustang or something...

I jut hope people arent dumb enough to buy those...

On the other hand that WCC 300 is sweet... :twisted: