Found Something... need price ideas

EviLette

I found a 96 GTP with a sunroof... didn't think to check for HUD... I didn't see anything that looked like it on the dash itself so I don't think it has it... Has 133k on it, but a blown tranny...

Is it worth it? The body is straight, the paint is hellaciously oxidized but I can bring that back...

Ideas? I sold my Tercel and now I need to consider a 2nd vehicle before my 92 goes tits up...

Depends how cheap it is. To get the tranny replaced at a shop you're looking at atleast $1000.

Car is only problably worth a few hundred with a bad tranny.

The body is almost perfect, a few hail dents... I don't know if the sunroof works or not, or the condition of the rest of the power units...

In regards to the transmission... the engine/tranny swap from the CS to my GP is gonna cost me around 600 bucks... so a lil less there, but I wasn't planning on telling THEM that.

The paint needs a lot of work... only one place where the clearcoat has faded off and the paint has faded... conincidentally on the right side of the car, the same two panels as are messed up on my SE.

I was hoping to pick it up for a couple hundred... it's the son's car though and I need to talk to HIM, not his dad, cuz his dad was trying to be a smartass and run game on me. They say it runs but no battery... so I would DEFINITELY start it up and see how it does.

They also said the car has only been sitting for three months... the weeds and grass growing around it say a lot different.

Thanks for the pricing ideas, that was kind of along the lines that I was thinking. I can probably pick it apart a bit further... unless the kid knows his Pontiacs. :)

Will haggle when funds are available, because I doubt it's going anywhere soon.

Well, whats wrong with the tranny?? If the diff pin let go, you could technically just put in a new/rebuilt diff, and extension housing. Then flush the tranny and you'd be set. Thats what I did to my cutlass, and it was a lot easier than putting in a new trans. and cheaper too. Cost me less then 300 for everything.

Well, whats wrong with the tranny?? If the diff pin let go, you could technically just put in a new/rebuilt diff, and extension housing. Then flush the tranny and you'd be set. Thats what I did to my cutlass, and it was a lot easier than putting in a new trans. and cheaper too. Cost me less then 300 for everything.

They didn't say what was wrong with the tranny. I was almost hoping it would end up something like when my sister bought her firebird... they told them the tranny was out... it was fine, just out of damn fluid and had sat for a couple years..

Even if it's not that, the transmission can be rebuilt... I know several good rebuilders, but at 133k I was keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it was something simple that they overlooked or just didn't care to figure out.

I want the damn car, I just need to find a damn job first... and there aren't any takers around here wanting to hire for detail. Well, lots of positions open... just nobody willing to give me an interview. I'm starting to get pissed.

Easy way to tell. Crawl under the car and look where the axle goes into the trans on the passenger side. If there is a hole in the casing, than more than likely that is the only thing wrong.

hail dents and bad clearcoat = basically entire paint job...

Bad tranny = up to $2000 for rebuild+install

I'd pass....

I agree. You can buy cars that run for under $1000. Why buy another project when you can barely afford a running car?