ouside door handles

roomylumy

Is there an article somewhere describing the easiest way to change the ouside door handles on a 1st Gen Lumina. Preferably a way to do it and have the door skin go back from whence it came. Thanks.

Oh, and that is OUTSIDE door handles(typo in the subject line)I'm sure that was obvious, I just wanted to show that I am paying attention!! You could cut off nine of my fingers and it wouldn't change my typing ability!!

1st, you want to remove the inside door panel from the door you are working on.

The back doors are a little harder to reach and unbolt, but its the same general procedure. There are two nuts, 10mm i think, that hold the handle to the door. after that, you have to disconnect the metal bar that links the handle to the latch.

linkage.jpg

The thing circled in red is what you need to disconnect. The end that has the white rubber coating on it just slides out of a hole in the handle. There will be a small plastic clip holding the other end to the latch. Just remove the clip and the bar will pull right out allowing you to take the handle off.

After you remove the bolts and the latch linkage, if the handle seems stuck in there just wiggle it a bit and it should come loose.

My biggest concern actually was removal of the door skin itself. Things such as the window handle, and the fabric at the top of the door give me a bit of a problem. There must be a trick (or tool) to removing the window handle ?

My biggest concern actually was removal of the door skin itself. Things such as the window handle, and the fabric at the top of the door give me a bit of a problem. There must be a trick (or tool) to removing the window handle ?

The inside panel is pretty simple. The upper fabric stays on with the rest of it, and it's held on by a few hidden screws, and the rest are push-clips, which are best to remove with a basic door panel removal tool (like a screwdriver with a flat end on it)

There is a tool made for removing window handles...

76951_3X.jpg

It's pretty cheap, or if you dont wanna buy it, I have been able to get the retaining clip popped off before with just a paint scraper too, although its a little more difficult. Anyway all you do is pop off the clip and the window handle pulls right off. Like Brian said, taking off the inside door is simple, after the screws are out, it is held on by these plastic clips:

16695.gif

There are about 6-10 of them and they are located around the edges of the panel. Try to get a door panel clip removal tool. You can just pull them out by getting your hand under the door panel and pulling, but you may have to pick up some new clips before you reinstall the panel, as this tends to break them sometimes.

From ask.com:

There is a small horseshoe shaped clip that holds the window handle on the window regulator.

gm_handle_clip_260c.gif00000012.gif

You can make a removal tool from a piece of coat hanger. Just bend it into the shape in the diagram. The dimensions are rough, you can make it as big as is comfortable for your hand.

The inside of the hook end should be about the same as the thickness of the coat hanger. Bigger than that and it won't fit between the window handle and door panel.

Be careful when you pull it out, that clip will want to move to a different country when it pops out. When it hits the ground, it will immediately change color to blend in and make it very difficult to find.

I usually cover the window handle and the tool with a rag to catch it as it pops out. When it's out and I have the window handle off, I put it right back on the window handle.

To reinstall it, just center it on the window regulator and give it a sharp rap to set it in place.

should be the same as the lumina in this thread

:werd:, actually the pic in my previous post was from my 4 door cutlass and I figured it would be the same for the lumina.

how you get the black plastic clip off though

for a year or two they made that !@#^@!^%@*$#@!(*$*#@(&^#@!*$^!#@( black plastic piece.

Replace it. got to a J/Y and find a 90-92 4 door, maybe some 93's as well. bust open the door and you will discover a differnt type of connector. take both the plastic retainer and the metal stud that screws onto the rod.... and the rod too, just in case.

to remove the black plastic one you must drill out the rivet that holds the entire door latch guts in place. aslo detach the ecterior lock rod. then remove the three torx bolts. You will find it possible to remove the #$* black plastic piece with a paior or needle noise pliers or a hacksaw or whatever. (may I suggest a nuclear warhead at 1,000,000 paces?) replce the %&8#% black plastic piece with the older type you salvaged and reinstall. When i have done this I find the best thing to replace the rivets with are 5/16 bolts that are 3/8 long (IIRC) Use nylocking nuts to retain the mechanism in place, and may I recommnd washers to help as well? i get the bolts, nuts and washers at LOWES home improvement.

It's not hard, just mind boggling, do not hesitate to ask for more help, if needed. good luck

keep in mind that in mid 95 they returned to a modified design of the porignal metal retainer. but a crummier plastic fastener was used, but the same metal peg with a threaded hole through it's shaft was used. Grab what you can get.

bs on my directions or bs on what must be done?

For better of clarity... you must remove the black plastic piece from the mechism with the door guts removed from the car...

adn yes I plan to do a write up on this as well.

the removing of everything

it look ominous but it is not that bad.

after you have the door panel out,

all you have left is three rivets to drill, and the three bolts to remove. good luck!