AC fan only works on speed setting 1 and 4???

Blazer_Zr2

Well, i finally got my blower motor fixed/replaced, and the speed settings only seem to work on the high setting (4) and the low setting (1), how do i get the other 2 speeds to work? Is there possibly a fuse/relay gone on the convenience plate near the blower motor? Or does someone know why this is, the way it is?

The blower fan has a series of large resistors for each speed setting, with "high" not having a resistor at all. When one or more of the resistors blow out, your fan doesn't function on whatever setting the blown resistor is on (as you've found out.)

Some GM's have the resistors mounted inside of the airbox, some are in a relay-looking box near the firewall. I haven't encountered where they are on the W's, but since I haven't seen any "external" resistor packs, I'd assume they're inside of the airbox. Anyone else care to verify this?

I had to replace my fathers on his 2000 Grand Prix. If your car is like his in regards to the resistor, I hope you have some flexibility. To get to the resistor, you have to pull back the carpet a little on the pasenger side of the car and look way up for it up near the firewall. You will see the plug running from the blower to the resitor. There were three bolts holding it on, the first 2 are easy to get, the last is wedged between the resistor and the firewall. I ended up breaking the plastic on the resistor so I could remove the bolt. Getting the third bolt back in proved impossible because I could in no way get a tool up in there... so two bolts hold it in just fine. Also if you just fixed your blower, make sure you properly seated the plug back into the resistor.

Well, the fan never worked on settings 2/3 before either, so i guess its one of these resistors. Ill look at my book and see where they're supposedly located.

Yep, these car's it is resistors.

On my dads 95 Impala, he had the same symtoms. There was some sort of electronically controlled switch box that went bad with his.