Happy Birthiversary, Mach 5!

Mach5Gus

(I've been really busy, and haven't had time to post this until tonight.)

This past Wed., July 12th, was the 11th anniversary of the night I went to Grossinger Pontiac in Lincolnwood, IL, and drove home in a certain white 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. (All this time, and I still can't decide if that counts as a birthday or an anniversary! )

She turned 243,500 miles on the 12th, and given that, she is still in great shape. Her latest malady is a strange electrical problem, where the engine will not shut off w/ the key- have to pull the fuel pump fuse and disconnect the battery to park the car, nice. No mechanical ills to speak of, other than a leaky AC evaporator, non-functional power locks, and a trunk that lets in small amounts of water when it rains. Her smooth pale skin has been marred over the past 11 years by numerous small dents, scratches, chips, and other minor assaults. Over the past year or so, the evil rust monster has left its vile red-brown marks, just below the fuel fill and at the base of the A-pillars (only visible when the doors are open). She's certainly aging, but I'd like to think she's wearing it rather well.

I'm giving her some time off recently, since she's long overdue for a timing belt and a trans fluid change, and thanks to a recent financial emergency, I have no money for either. She's only driven 3 or 4 days a week for the time being, the upshot of which is I'm saving about $80 a month on gas.

I'm hoping to get her to a couple big Pontiac shows this season, like the Indian Uprising and a show in Wheaton later this month. I think she still shows pretty well, enough to make it worth the time. I only wish I could afford to keep her up the way she deserves. Without patting myself too hard on the back, I think I've done pretty well up to now. But someday, long from now, when I'm all gray-haired (if I still have any, anyway) and everybody's driving some sort of hover-car-type things, she'll get taken apart all the way down to the bare unibody and rebuilt bolt by bolt, ending up again as flawless as that July day in 1995...

woot happy anniversary Mach 5 and Gus!!!!! what big pontiac show is in wheaton? there was a wheaton cruise night tonite that Pontiacs were the main car

That's cool that you still have it after buying it brand new, not too many around here have done that. I remember years ago when I was first getting into W bodies I came across what must have been your website and saw that cool pic of your car booking it on a beach.

yeah heck i was in 3rd grade when my z34 was brand new. i WISH i knew where it was for its first 100k before i got her.

yeah heck i was in 3rd grade when my z34 was brand new. i WISH i knew where it was for its first 100k before i got her.

well, i was in 1st grade, when my GTP was new...

and i would like to know her past...

congratulations gus and mach 5.

Congrats man!!

I know where my car has been it's whole life....grandma bought it new in the fall of '89, I was 1 year old lol.....I have a picture of the car when it was maybe a couple years old parked at my house with my grandma, sister and I playing outside...just ogtta scan the old 35mm picture lol