UB3 Cluster

Olds88Cutlass

I bought a 1988 olds cutlass supreme about two years ago. It has the base instrument cluster and I want to replace that with a UB3 gauge cluster. The previous owners of the car had the base cluster replaced in 1999. On the cluster it says 1988-1993 olds w/o tach. I wired up the UB3 according to the directions on this site. The tach doesn't work because I don't have an orange wire that is supposed to be in the back. The wire is supposed to go from the ecm to the aldl connector to the cluster. Any suggestions on how to wire this? Thanks in advance.

I just swapped in a regal UB3 and it needed the orange wire too. Im not sure how it is on your cutlass, but in my Lumina, The orange wires was only about 8 inches from where I needed it. In the Lumina you don't have to get it from the ALDL conenctor as its harness runs down next to the radio. I used a blue wire piercing 3M scotchlok but be carefull because it was like a 26 guage wire. If your cluster connector doesn't have a lead for tach you will need to get one to add into the connector. You can find one in the junkyard, or I can mail you one in a regular envelope, an orange one even. LOL you can have it for free if you really need it.

Does anyone know what wires I am looking for? The manual says the ALDL connector is just an orange wire, but the only orange wire I see by the steering column is paired with a black one. Is this the one I need to splice?

Thanks a lot everybody for the help. That was the right wire so the tach finally works. I also picked up a coolant temp sender, so that works now too. The only thing I need is an oil pressure sender. Any ideas on how to get my old one off?

Ok so I am still having trouble hooking up the oil pressure sender. On my 88 with the lights there is only one tan wire that plugs into the switch. According to the manual there is only that same tan wire that plugs into the sender. Does anyone have an 88 olds cs with the UB3 gauges? If you do is that the only wire I need? I went to the junkyard today to get a sender off of a 89 cs but it had three wires in the plug. I'm wondering if i only need that tan wire just a different sender or if i need a sender with the three wired plug?