Door weight

warwgn3

Would any of you happen to know if there is a way to decrease the weight of a door with out totally destroying it?

I'm asking because, once a week I have the task of driving my 84 year old Gramma to the local book store, and hair dresser. And I noticed that she has a bit of a hard time getting in and out of the car because - even I think - the doors are a tad on the heavy side, and she has a minor difficulty opening her door.

So I would like to try and see if there is a way that I can lighten the passenger front door, so that she doesn't have as much trouble opening it to get in and out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, by me, and my Gramma.

Wow you must love your grammy to want to lighten the door for her lol.

I can't think of anything you could really take out... could replace the glass window with a plastic window...

I suggest just opening the door for her. Or spend some cash and get one of those systems that can do remote start/alarm/open doors for ya/etc etc etc.

I suggest just opening the door for her.

:iamwithstupid: just walk around the car to her door and help her with getting in and out of your car. Also pull the door panels off and check and see if there is any crap in the bottom of the doors.

I could only imagine if it were a 2 door....

Make sure the door is greased up good (hinges), the handle is working properly (adjust linkages??) other than that just open the damn door for her..

well you could remove the inner skin, the windo regulator and the hinges and stuff just like the people who make stock cars do.... but are you gonna install a rollcage with side impact protection?

grace the hinges... and spary wd40 to allow the grease to run etc etc... and the 'snap' thingy the holds the door in position should be lubed too.

These might help if it's really bad...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Autoloc-Adjustable-Door-Poppers-pair-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33642QQihZ019QQitemZ8016683174QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I know my doors are heavy and i get tired of telling people to pull hard. Everytime I go to pick up a friend that isn't a regular cutlass passenger, they stand there waiting for me to unlock the door as I'm screaming at them to pull harder, and I usually end up having to lean over to push the door open.

I'm installing these poppers in the door jambs because I'm shaving the door handles, but they would work great to get the door opened too. I think part of the problem is the door sticking to the weatherstripping, making it not want to move.