Painting problem

mdelorie

So I'm painting a new front grill on my Lumina, and being plastic, it's static-y as hell, and after every coat, there's tons of dust caught in the paint.... any bright ideas on how I might reduce / eliminate that? Also, after sanding, of course the colour seems a little less rich, and has some whitish spots... will my final clearcoat eliminate that? or do I have to apply my clearcoat right after my color, without sanding?

Thanks guys.

Before painting, you shouldve wiped it down with rubbing alcohol and then quickly wiped off the alcohol.

Clearcoat has to be applied after paint, no sanding in between.

befo u started painted u shoulda wiped sanded den wiped again wit alchole n u need to make sho ur sprayin da pain on evenualy n da clear coat should be da last caot u apply n try to goto a place to paint dat dont have dat much dust floatin around

Build yourself an inexpensive re-usable paint booth made of wood frame and thick plastic from Home Depot. As the paint dries, dust and other particles will settle on the newly painted material and will ruin it.

I wonder if maybe a fan blowing on it (just one of those oscillating desktop fans) would help it out at all.... or maybe do it outside on a damp day?

If you are painting outside which is exposed to the surrounding air, there is chance of getting dust in your paint job and fan directed to it would certainly bring in dust particles.

Yeah, good point, never thought of that... :?

well, maybe I just got unlucky the first time, because there was a LOT of dust in my paint.

in my major, i have to paint a lot of shit i design, and here is what i have learnrd... if you do it outside, second floor concrete balcony is teh best place, use cardboard to save the concrete from being painted. second, when i paint indoors, i use ballons that i rub on my head( no joke hahah ) that i place about 3 inches from what i am painting to attract dust. 3rd, NEVER piant on a humid day, its BAD news

oh yeah! if your using an ordinary clear coat (like Krylon) on a car grill... its almost useless...

you'll notice it'll give the grill a frosted look for a couple days, tehn it will totally wear off, so use and automotive clear coat ( i did my grill with krylon..dumb)

Hmmmm, :roll: I just bought some clearcoat from Canadian Tire. Their branded stuff... what's the difference between this "Krylon" stuff and an automotive clearcoat? The CT stuff says it's for cars... :?:

second, when i paint indoors, i use ballons that i rub on my head( no joke hahah ) that i place about 3 inches from what i am painting to attract dust.

Good idea, i've never thought of that. Did you try it yourself or did you get that tip from somewhere else.

How to black out a 91-92 Regal Sedan grill.......black electrical tape!

Only the vertical fins are chrome and thanks to someones big foot I don't have fins above the center emblem anymore. It actually looks better that way, less grampa-more sport.

Kinda jumped the post but it was about grill coloring :oops: