How do you open a hood

supreme_style21

Well I'm not quite THAT stupid, but how do you open one that seemingly won't open? I bought yet another GP and the hood won't pop. The latch inside is busted to all hell. Pulling on the cable with a pliers from the inside doesn't do it. I tried to pop it from underneath the car as well, but I just can't get it to release. I can get my fingers to the latch and move it somewhat, but, as far as I can tell, I'm not getting enough leverage on it.

Have you tried having someone push down on it while you pull the cable with pliers?? That may be all it needs. Or smack it a couple times. I've had to do that to a fair amout of old chevy trucks to get the hoods to open up :lol:

Have you tried having someone push down on it while you pull the cable with pliers?? That may be all it needs. Or smack it a couple times. I've had to do that to a fair amout of old chevy trucks to get the hoods to open up :lol:

:iamwithstupid: my old suburban needs a few good whacks to the hood before it opens....

Usually all it takes is to pull towards the drivers side on the metal tab that the cable attaches to, I've never seen a W I couldn't get into that way. One Lumi I have has a bad spring to pop the hood up when you pull the tab, maybe it is releasing but not popping up?

The cable has to pull, and then release some. I noticed that when the latch broke on my old GP, just pulling on it wouldn't work, you had to pull it and then push it if it didn't give.

Usually all it takes is to pull towards the drivers side on the metal tab that the cable attaches to, I've never seen a W I couldn't get into that way. One Lumi I have has a bad spring to pop the hood up when you pull the tab, maybe it is releasing but not popping up?

That is what I was doing.. I had one hand doing that and the other trying to lift the hood.. it didn't seem to work.

just unbolt the latch from the radiator support, 3 or 4 bolts total should be able toget at them from underneith.

That flashed through my mind earlier today.. figured it was my luck that I'd waste my time doing that and there would be one bolt I couldn't get to. I'll have to try that this evening. You can get to all that from under the car, right?

This is how:

100_0380.jpg

100_0381.jpg

100_0382.jpg

:lol:

seriously I have always been able to get a hood open except one car where I had to remove the bolts. On that car it was stuck in the apply position and had to be pushed the other way to release and I didn't know at the time. try moving the release pin both ways if you are still locked out. good luck

um..

reach up behind the front bumper and play with the latch a little with your fingers... it helps to have somebody else around to grab the hood after you're able to release the latch, because usually it'll fall down and relatch in the process of getting your ass off the ground. Just push the spring-loaded latch up (it's a small surface area you're pressing, might hurt your fingers a little).

um..

reach up behind the front bumper and play with the latch a little with your fingers... it helps to have somebody else around to grab the hood after you're able to release the latch, because usually it'll fall down and relatch in the process of getting your ass off the ground. Just push the spring-loaded latch up (it's a small surface area you're pressing, might hurt your fingers a little).

Already tried it.. chewed the shit out of my fingers, but the hood wouldn't budge.

well you need the front bumper cover and hood so you don't want to hack those up...... I would have someone trying to pull on the cable and seeing if I could feel whats wrong with the hood release.