Shining-up the door handle pillars?? Recommendations...

gmrulz4u

The black color on my 89 Supreme's door handle pillar areas are really starting to look faded versus the rest of the car.

Is there anyway, other than painting, to kinda give them back that shiny black look?

I thought I remembered a few post on here before talking about this exact thing, but I can't seem to find them when doing a Search...

THANKS!:)

There is new colored based wax you can use to buff out and bring back shine... grab some black (I've got red for the rest of car) and work the magic in... Best of luck!

- RedFox340

And do you happen to know what company is making this stuff?

Right... sorry... Turtle Wax. Basic color work for all shades / tones of that base color. Although, I like Brian's idea; that's what I'm doing this summer: repainting black trim!

- RedFox340

wetsand 1000 grit, 1500, 2000, 2500 then clearcoat

Does that work on the peeling parts? Cause mine have clear plastic looking stuff peeling off them.

Does that work on the peeling parts? Cause mine have clear plastic looking stuff peeling off them.

Yeah it does... if it's already starting to peel, you a Scotch Bright pad first; it takes off less paint and can accuratly tell where you need to sand the clear coat.

- RedFox340

On my car alot of the clear coating has peeled right off, leaving a very dull black color.

So do I just have to feather edge the remaining clear coat and spray some on, or should I repaint the bad areas with black paint first? Or is just plain old clear coat good enough?

Lightly sand and get the rest of the clear off or scratched so the new clear with paint on. However, REMEMBER that thousands of an inch difference are shown through paint... if you're a perfectionist, take your, do the whole thing and repaint all of the clear.

DON'T HIT BARE METAL; you'll need to then prime it, repaint black and sand again to get the levels even...

- RedFox340

I took mine off and did what Redfox suggested.. Took about 10 years off after I did the treatment and it looked damn good... It's also much easier to work on it once it's off the car (like a lot of other things).