Lumina or Monte??? Help Me Decide!

RJansen658

Ok so the opportunity has presented itself to buy a 95' Monte Carlo Z34 with the 3.4L DOHC engine. My original plan was to get an L67 and drop it into my 93' Lumina. I do mechanic work for an auto auction when I have free time, and they will let me have the Monte for cheap. Very cheap. I was thinking I could buy the monte and put the L67 into it instead. The only thing stopping me from stripping down my Lumina right now is that it is my every day driver. If I get the Monte I could pull the enigine and start working on it right away. The engine in the Monte now runs great, so I could easily sell it for like $200 and make back a lot of the Monte's cost.

So what does everyone think? What would be more fun? A Lumina with an L67 or a Monte?

they are the same... you want 2 or 4 doors?

a '93 lumina and a '95 Monte are not the same

I say go with the Monte as it is newer and should hav a nicer interior/more options and more mods should be available to it

MonteChick: If I do decide to buy it, I will sell you the engine. I drove it and it ran strong, looked like the oil pan gasket had a slight leak but no big deal.

Nametnom: When it is completed it won't be an every day driver so 2 Drs. will be fine, I like the sportier 2 Dr. look anyways.

they are the same... you want 2 or 4 doors?

a '93 lumina and a '95 Monte are not the same

I say go with the Monte as it is newer and should hav a nicer interior/more options and more mods should be available to it

ok i read that again and yeah ok you got me.... i cant read :cry:

Is there a digital cluster upgrade for the 1.5gen Monte's? That is one of the issues thats holding me back... I just today finished putting the Regal UB3 into my Lumina....

Is there a digital cluster upgrade for the 1.5gen Monte's? That is one of the issues thats holding me back... I just today finished putting the Regal UB3 into my Lumina....

IIRC: the 1.5G Police edition Luminas had digital speedos

OOOOhhhhhh! Nice! But I bet it will be impossible to find....and any one I do find will have a ton of miles on it.....police cars always do. I still haven't experimented with resetting digital cluster mileage. But I think it can be done with a speed sensor and a variable speed cordless drill, but thats another thread. Anyways I am beginning to lean towards the Monte, digital is a big thing for me, and I can always fabricate my own cluster... The interior on the Monte was a lot nicer... and it was black...

MONTE!!!

Those Z34s are hands-down gorgeous compared to a LUMINA (especially the interior). If it's got leather, that's a bonus. I like everything about the interiors in them, I think they are better than the 94-96 GP interiors!

Keep the Lumina as a daily w/ 3.1 (or get rid of it.. whatever).

Well, I guess it all depends on which car you think is more attractive. The styling of the Monte Carlo is a little more updated. Both cars are going to be pretty similar mechanically. The '95 Monte Carlo is going to have rear coil springs while the '93 Lumina has the transverse leaf spring. So, if there are any plans to lower the car, keep that in mind. Also, am I remembering correctly - do all '95 Monte Carlos/Luminas have rear drum brakes? If you prefer the looks of rear discs keep that in mind. I had a '96 Lumina with rear drums and thought they performed just as well as the rear discs on my '89 Grand Prix (except they didn't keep going bad like the 89's did). The Monte Carlo might have a fold down rear seat & pass-through which the Lumina won't have. You live in the rust belt (as I do) so, I'd say put your money into whichever car has no rust (if either) and don't drive it in the winter. I've learned the hard way - if you have just 1 car & drive it in the salt, no matter how hard you try to keep it clean, it will rust out & be gone before it's time.

By the way, here's a pic of that Lumina police cluster:

(As for digital clusters, I think that Regal one you swapped is a lot cooler)

97Lumina9C3.jpg

Well you all have swayed me to the Monte... I will go talk with the auction owner tommorrow or Thursday.

BTW: Regal UB3 > Police Lumina Cluster

well, i have a 94 Lumina Euro, a 96 Monte LS, and a 99 Monte Z34 and i much prefer my Montes much more modern styling, nicer interior and the Z34 is much quicker that the Euro (the LS is a bit quicker too, but thats because its modded)so if you run inot another, definetally get it!