Quick advice before July 9!

bigshynepo

If I have been driving around in hot (28 degree celcius, 90 degree F) sunny days for a week with 2 L / 2 quarts of coolant low..... would I have caused any additional wear and tear on my system in anyway? (3.4L DOHC)

I asked my mechanic to make sure everything was all good with my coolant after my gasket and timing belt change, he assured me it was no problem and all topped up. Turns out I was almost bone dry in my reservior when I finally looked at it after it sitting all night (no leaks either).

I go back tomorrow to demand answers!! :cussing:

I really appriciate any help you all could be. Thanks in advance.

(I know that the cooling system on these cars/engines are a little tricky)

Did the engine run hot? If it ran normal temp I don't think it would have hurt anything. Maybe there was air in the system that wasn't bled properly... it can really suck up the coolant. Is it still losing coolant after you added the 2qts?

No, after I filled it up, it hasn't gone down. The air was clearly not bled properly from the system when they were adding. I am going to request they do a coolant flush and refill (I had to pour water in). It did run hotter than average. I checked the level because I noticed the second fan was always running. Even when it was running, it seemed to be fighting a losing battle against the heat. I don't think I was driving my car for long enough periods to have it overheat but I feel it would have if I kept driving.

No, didn't have the A/C on, it seems like the car got hot very fast off the start. My second fan would kick in within 15-20 min of light driving. By then, my needle was well past halfway on the temp gauge (the new 95 style gauge)

If you didn't get past 3/4 on the guage I wouldn't worry about it....my Lumina will go as high as a bit past half, fan(s) kick on and BOOM temp is back down right away...

I would take it back in where the work was done, and Bitch about that. It is possible that there was damage done, but if there are no air bubbles in the reservoire, and it doesnt run hot after you top it up and bleed it, than you should be fine.