TheCutt

Hello everybody, I have a problem with my air conditioning in my 92 cutlass supreme convertible. I was cruising through town with the top down, i was starting to look like a lobster, so i pulled the top up and turned the a/c on. It worked for a few minutes, then it started to blow warm air. So i turned it off. Pull up to a light and my engine compartment is smoking and now it seems like the compressor is making a weird sound. So if anyone has had a similar problem and could help me out, as im not sure what to do now. I'd appreciate any advice. I searched pretty good, but no one has said anything about the compressor making any noise. If i would had done the l67 swap this would have never happend. :willynilly:

Compressor or clutch. Pick one out of a junk yard and see, but it sounds to be a compressor problem. I don't see how doing a L67 swap would have helped anything, compressors fail all the time, regardless of engine.

I could be wrong here, but I'd say your compressor is toast!

I agree Shawn. I'd say you torched the clutch of the A/C compressor if it smoked on you. You're gonna need a new one I think.

Yeah, i was hoping it wasnt going to be the compressor, but i knew it most likely was. Thanks for your help everyone. How much are they brand new and would it be worth the gamble of getting one out of a junk yard? Is there a seperate clutch assembly that can be replaced instead of replacing the whole compressor or is it all in one? I was just joking about the l67 swap, but i dont think i would have had as bad a luck with that engine or its accesories as i have had with this 3.1. I have pretty much replaced everything, and im just looking forward to driving it more.

Clutch is the part on the front of the pulley. If the clutch is working correctly, with engine RUNNING it should stay stationary with the A/C OFF. The pulley will spin, but the clutch won't. Then turn A/C ON. If the clutch is working correctly, you will hear a click and the clutch will spin with the pulley.

If clutch spins + air is warm, then your refrigerant leaked completely out. If that happens, my guess would be the shaft seal gave way. If it makes noise with A/C on and off, then your pulley bearing is shot. A bad bearing can overheat and cook a shaft seal too.

Anyhow, a junkyard compressor is definitely a gamble. You never know how long it would last. Might last a few years or a few days. Brand new is prohibitively expensive. I'd get a decent refurbished one with new seals and bearings.

When you get the fried compressor off and you notice debris in the hose connections, you have a lot more work ahead of you than just a compressor R&R.

Black Death:

http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=9178

This happened to my Lumina. Some hours and a bunch of money later, I had the system rebuilt and ready for charging.

I agree about the possibility the compressor is shot...however,important to know...a fully charged working system can still blow warm IF the main fan does not come on at a/c request.

This is happening to a friends car we just replaced the compressor and etc.His compressor was toast like yours,smoked up and everything...new A/c parts worked great for 2 days then quit.Began blowing warm..we tested everything and noticed the the main cooling fan quit working on a/c request.We tested the main fan and its fine,comes on when engine reaches operating temps etc.Be sure after your repairs you do,that when the a/c is commanded on,that the main fan also comes on with it.If it wont pull the heat out of the condensor,it wont cool down inside the car.