What Annoys Me About My 97 GP

95oldsVan

Everytime I turn on the headlights by twisting the knob,my hand or fingers seem to hit the dimmer roller below it.This happens every single time.Not a crybaby post,NOOO,not that but it annoys me.I dont know why they designed the switch and it passed ergonomics before releasing this design.Its really poor in design and never had a car that this happened turning on headlights.Guess Ill get used to it..maybe I got big hands,dont think I do but cant seem to avoid hitting the dimmer roller without turning on lights.

:lol:

That's the one little thing that I love about the Impala, Chevy went back to the old-fashioned "pull-out" style headlight switch with the integral dash illumination control. I don't know why the "f" GM experimented with all of these different types of headlight switches throughout the 80's and 90's, when the "classic" design made the most sense function-wise. That's progress for ya :lol: ...

That's the one little thing that I love about the Impala, Chevy went back to the old-fashioned "pull-out" style headlight switch with the integral dash illumination control. I don't know why the "f" GM experimented with all of these different types of headlight switches throughout the 80's and 90's, when the "classic" design made the most sense function-wise. That's progress for ya :lol: ...

Ive always noticed those little things about the cars over the years...lately,the designs are leaning heavily towards japanese styles in the newer cars,at least to me that is,form and function.But YES,back then,when stuff worked,was in the ideal place,they decided to make some models different byt changing stuff around.

Remember the floor mounted high beam switches? Those were the best.My first car was a 76 cutlass S and had that on the floor.Even had swivel buckets so you can easily get out of the car.The headliner was strong vinyl stuff with wires in them holding up like a skeleton.Those things lasted forever!

Anyways I still think the pull out headlight knob,with built in dimmer is the best.My 86 corvette had that and it never broke or gave me problems.Btw the headlight knob switch light bulb burned out.Gotta cut it out and solder in a new bulb...just did the same for my stock radio in the GP..clock bulb was burned out,had to solder in a new one.At least the squishy blizaaro blobbo rubbery switches look neater than the old hard plastick knob switches that had white paint on them that erroded off after a few years.

:willynilly: :lol:

Remember the floor mounted high beam switches? Those were the best.

Yep, growing up I don't think I can remember a car my parents owned where that floor-mounted dimmer switch would work properly. They would rust out and cease to function after a few years (and my old man would never bother to fix it, either) :lol: . I remember when my parents bought their first car with a "signal lever dimmer" (80 Cordoba) neither of them could figure out how to switch on the highbeams until I read the owners manual :lol:

My first car was a 76 cutlass S and had that on the floor.Even had swivel buckets so you can easily get out of the car.The headliner was strong vinyl stuff with wires in them holding up like a skeleton.Those things lasted forever!
My parents bought a 76 Monte (new) that had swivel buckets (and a moonroof, and a console shift, and a landau roof, etc etc.) Everything in that car was vinyl, too. It was medium green with tan interior and a white vinyl roof. Sweet ride, but it got repo'd after the grocery store they owned went belly up :( ...

If you think that's bad, on a 94 Cutlass Supreme you can't feel the A/C because the steering wheel blocks the vents.

Even on the 88-93 Cutlass Supremes the design isn't that great because your hands get most of the cold air. It always makes my fingers into icicles.

If you think that's bad, on a 94 Cutlass Supreme you can't feel the A/C because the steering wheel blocks the vents.

Even on the 88-93 Cutlass Supremes the design isn't that great because your hands get most of the cold air. It always makes my fingers into icicles.

Lumina's are the same way lol....my left hand is totallyed forzen after a few minutes of driving hahaha.....

I don't mind the push button style switch like my car has, but I never use it because of the auto lights there's no point lol....

My personal favourite style of headlight switch is when it's on the multi function signal stalk...and the windshield wipers have a seprate stalk on the right side of the steering column...that's just me though.