new to w-body cars

racedraper

well I just bought a 94 cutlass convert for 1500 bucks,it needs a new top and all rubber weather stripping. some TLC and new paint. the car has 120k on runs great. just wondering how hard is i to find the weather stripping and how to install it all. The bottom of the front fenders mounts are broken off so Illl prob just buy new ones. whats the differnce between supreme and the supreme s models? thanks Ill post pics as soon as i get new batteries in my camera. Thanks Dustin

thanks for warm and fuzzy welcome .lol does the stealership have them? Has anyone done a parts comparion for interchanging parts. My 97 chevy truck weather stripping looks th same I wonder if I could "jerry rig it" to fit.

My car has grey cloth is it suposed to have leather? Also if I deside to get new plastic skirts well the ground effects part aare these also hard to find? Thanks Dustin

thanks for warm and fuzzy welcome .lol does the stealership have them? Has anyone done a parts comparion for interchanging parts. My 97 chevy truck weather stripping looks th same I wonder if I could "jerry rig it" to fit.

My car has grey cloth is it suposed to have leather? Also if I deside to get new plastic skirts well the ground effects part aare these also hard to find? Thanks Dustin

They have them, but they charge your first born. And I highly doubt you could "jerry rig it"

It's probably supposed to have cloth

Ground effects are much easier to find than weatherstripping.

i dont think any verts ever came with cloth, and the side skirts shouldnt be too hard to find. any cutlass ones (excluding sedans of course) should fit

I have seen cloth too. I have also seen no thrils basic climate and non SWRC steering wheels. (yuck!)

the lower ground effects are modified on verts. I replaced one on my 93 vert, and had to trim it to fit. not hard, just be patient. I hope you have the opposite side to compare it to! The part that is out of view beneth the car is cut short due to clearance issues with the vert tub.

Welcome to the board!

Yeah, there are like 30 people on here all hunting for Convertible weatherstripping. It's extinct. The dealership's don't even have a working part number for it anymore to my knowledge. As said above, your only chance really will be hitting a junkyard jackpot or picking up a parts 'vert :lol:

I hope you just need to replace the vinyl roof and not the whole convertible assembly. The inner workings of our tops can be extremely expensive to replace. (although you'll have a slightly easier time finding those parts than the rubber for your windows)

Don't let the repairs intimidate you though, this is a great community where you can find lots of help! :biggrin:

the top works fine but it needs more fluid, slow when coming up. I found a place that will charge 500 bucks installed for a new top. I plan to go to the dealership on moday to do some hunting. the only piece I need is right behind the fron tire next to the door, its a small piece

As for my name. lol I used to race quads so hense the name race draper draper is my last name. here is one of my race pics

lilquad30va1ma.jpg

I LOVE IT! :cheers:

If you get an aftermarket top, make sure you can get in writing that it won't leak. The convertible cutlass has a surprisingly twisty frame and (as you know) notoriously bad weatherstripping, I haven't seen many aftermarket installs that don't start leaking right away. (well, i have know two leaky ones in my day). Make sure they include weatherstripping in your install. Then you'll be in business.

although..i don't know if they do... :dunno:

I believe the "S" designation applies differently depending on the year. I know my 89 coupe was an SL. But I believe my 95 Vert I have now is considered an "S" trim level. I think, and I am talking out of my ass here, when the generations changed, "S" no longer meant Mid-Trim Level sedan.