Horn location..

warwgn3

First, Is there an Electrical section that I should have posted this in? Cause I don't see it.

Anyway, does anyone know where the horn is located under the hood, and how to get to it? I want to replace the original horn with the set of 4 "highway blaster big rig" horns that I scavanged from my old wagon.

I'm going to have a switch and relay with them so I can switch from the normal 1 or 2 horns for the usual *honk honk*, "come on, the light's green, lets go"... to all 4 horns for a very loud *BAAAAMP* "HEY WHAT THE FUCK!!??" when someone cuts me off.

I plan on putting the Lumina's orignal horn in my mom's Firefly, cause its pussy little "meep-meep" horn sucks.

Your Lumina will have it behind the battery on the drivers side within the cavity of the fenderwell. You'll need to yank the battery to remove them.

I like your idea btw!

I would do Dixie :P

Your Lumina will have it behind the battery on the drivers side within the cavity of the fenderwell. You'll need to yank the battery to remove them.
Yeah, I thought it would be like that. It was the same on my old (now my friends) 85 Parisienne Wagon. Except I had 2 horns in one fender, and the other 2 horns in the other fender. This time I'm going to make a bracket so I can have all 4 in one spot, and so I can have a quick and easy removal so I can take them out to pu them in my next car if I get get rid of the Lumina.

I would do Dixie :P
I thought about it, but it's too redneck, even for rednecks. If you've seen the Dukes of Hazzard movie, think of the guy who keeps sounding the dixie horn in the Gerneral Lee. It gets annoying very quick.

what??? any lumina ought to only have 2 horns period in the drivers dender.

I know that. I'm putting 4 extra ones in there, leaving the originals where they are. When I have to get rid if the Lumina, I'll take my 4 freeway blasters out, and re-connect the originals.

The purpose of this so I can scare the shit out of anyone who cuts me off or does some other stupid manuver in front of me, instead of midly warning them.

Good luck trying to cram 4 horns where the factory 2 are now....

I'm not putting them in the fender. I'm going to make a bracket, and mount them between the rad and bumper.

Well, Today I went to Crappy Tire and bought 2 Hi-Note Freeway Blaster Horns, and 4 L-brackets. The 2 Lo-Note Freeway Blasters are the ones I got from my old Parisienne in Montreal.

Anyway, I used Dad's drill press to drill a couple of screw holes into the L-brakets, and mounted the horns on the bumper infront of the radiator. So All that's left to do is find out what kind of Relay I need for them, and wire them up.

I took some pics of the work, but I'll post them up after I have a shower.... I'm filthy!

Ok, I'm all nice and clean now... GAWD I needed that!!

Anyway.. here are the pics.

The smaller stainless ones are the Hi-Notes that put out a frequency of 485 Hz, and emit a musical note of "E"

The larger brass ones are the Lo-Notes that put out a frequency of 405 Hz, and emit a musical note of "F"

All 4 horns blast at a loudness of 130 decibels Each. So I might be wrong, but my guess that all 4 of them sounded together will put out 520 decibels.

Here's the link to the Crappy Tire site if you want to check them out... http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396669587&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442457771&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1152564251874&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

Picture005.jpg

Picture003.jpg

:lol: :lol: Holy crap that video made me laugh, especially at the end.

Ya know ive never thought of upgrading my horns, but now i really want that system on my bike!!!

Yeah... If I had a few hundred bucks lying around to spend on an air horn system designed for a train, I would have put those in my Lumina. But since I don't, I settled for 4 of Crappy Tire's Freeway Blasters that supposively have a "Big Rig Sound".

They can't hold a candle to HornBlasters.com, but they are still a good deal louder than any stock car horn, so I'm happy.

the horn on that lumina is behind the driver side front fender accesible through the wheel well held in place by one bolt :biggrin:

Not anymore... Now they're located behind the front bumper, infront of the Rad, and Tranny Cooler, accessible from under the car, held in place by 8 bolts (2 per horn). :twisted:

so... speaking of the video.... did they get their asses busted? :lol:

Judging by how quickly the video stops after blasting the cop, I'd be willing to bet that they got royally fucked.

Well, I think I fucked up the horn installation.

I was driving around, running errands, with the windows up, A/C Full blast, and the radio cranked on one of my Deep Purple tapes. I stop off at work for 5 minutes to drop off a Maintainance Report for one of our driver's trucks, who's off on an injury. I left the car running with the A/C on because it over 30°C (86°F) without the humidex, and I wanted to keep the interior cool. I came back out and hopped in the car, threw the shifter in OD, and the car DIES right there and won't start, or turn over. Got a boost from my boss, and went to pick up my Gramma from the hair dresser, and along the way I notice that the voltage gauge is low, and the engine is sputtering, trying to keep running (gas was just filled.)

I get her home, and the car dies again. I call my Dad for a boost, which i didn't want to do, cause every time something like this happens he always asks the dumbest question...

Me: Dad, I need you to come and boost me, the car won't start.

Dad: What do you mean "the car won't start"?

Me (thinking to myself): What do you mean "What do you mean"? The fucking car won't start!!

Anyway, At this time we don't know if it's the battery or the alternater, (praying is not the alt, cause I'd be screwed). We take it for a drive on the highway to try and charge the system. That didn't help, as we got home, and the car died again.

Then we realized that the last thing I did was connect the horns. We rip the butt connecters off the wires I connected by the relay box, and sure enough all 4 wires going to each horn have a dead short. I didn't know how that could be, because I followed the installation instructions to a "T". So in my mind, I connected everything correctly, and couldn't understand how they can short out. I explained to Dad how the horns were to be installed, and that "the instructions said that it didn't matter which of the 2 spade connectors to put the ground and power wires onto, it would work both ways".

Then He told me that "that only works if I only have 1 horn". I have 4, and what the instructions didn't tell me is that for multiple horns, where the ground wires are supposed to be bolted directly to the frame via the horns mounting bracket, that all 4 power / ground wires have to be connected to the same spade connectors, in series (Ground on right, power on on left). It was then that I realized that I may have unknowingly connected them in parallel. So I told Dad "So basically what it did is almost the same as crossing the wires on a distributor." He said that's exactly what happened, and that's what caused the dead short.

We left the horns disconnected at the relay box, and went for another test run, and the car ran fine with the volt meter gauge in the "Ok zone" , and come back home. So we put the battery charger on the battery, to bring it bact to full charge, and we'll re wire the horns correctly tomorrow.

I would have used 2 relays for that setup........ but thats just me.

More relays were in the plan, but my bro said to just connect it, and put the relays in later when its not so hot, and we have time.

I would have used 2 relays for that setup........ but thats just me.

More relays were in the plan, but my bro said to just connect it, and put the relays in later when its not so hot, and we have time.

:lol: well you learned your lesson didn't you? always do wiring correctly don't half ass it you could have caught the car on fire your lucky you didn't.

ok, I'll try to re word that... when my bro looked up the wiring diagram, he saw that the original horns are already going through a relay so just cut the power wires after the relay, and tap the new horns there. Here's a quick diagram I made to show what I did...

Horns.jpg