MINT White 93 Euro 3.4, good business cruiser? Or some other W?

ragejg

So all the sudden, BOOM!! I'm ditching my malfunctioning 93 Lumina... It's been 8 years now of 90-93 Lumi's with 3.1's.

I'm getting a job where I'm gonna be driving at least twice a month from the Rochester NY area to Cleveland and Boston. I'm getting a new(er) car and have some difficult choices to make.

1. 1995 Monte, 3100, 123k, no rust, well maintained, auction car, $2500

2. 1996 Lumi, 3100, 100k, no rust, well maintained, auction car, $2900

3. 1993 Lumi Euro 3.4 White, 100k/50k on motor, MINT, $3500

4. 1995 Red CS Coupe, 3100, 150k, Almost Mint, $3999

I'll be paying cash. I don't want to have a car payment, I've never had one and hopefully never will.

Is it obvious that I should get the Euro 3.4? It's the best maintained car in the small town I live in, seriously, I've talked to tons of auto people in this area and everybody says the guy keeps up on maintenence like a crazy man with that car. Everything is TIGHT on it. No rust, but it does smell cigarette-y, I can fix that I hope (I'm trying to quit myself).

I've been driving cars with 3.1's for too long and I need something a bit more powerful. The 3100 really isn't much of a step up, and my only reservation about the Euro 3.4 is that it puts me right back in the driver's seat of almost the same car I've driven for ever.

I must admit that I really love the Lumina tho. :P

The only other thing I'd do if these were all un-intelligent options would be to give in and make payments, ie: get a car for 5k-7k, and make small payments after throwing down 3500 or so down. The one car I looked at that I would accept was an '00 Grand Prix GT with 106k. Really nice car, but damn, $6900? For a car with a 200hp pushrod motor with 50k more on it than the DOHC 3.4 I'm interested in?

Is the Euro 3.4 rare?

So yeah, I'm gonna keep spinning round and round in circles on this until finally I choose the right business cruiser for me. Your help would be appreciated. :D

The Euro 3.4 was one of the less comon options that luminas were euqipped with IIRC. Not sure if I'd call it rare like a '89-'90 TGP. :thinking: From what you're describing, I'd take the Euro 3.4 b/c of the lower engine miles if it's been maintained that well. If you're going to buy the Euro 3.4, do yourself a favor and make sure the timing belt has been changed before you buy it. If there's one thing you're going to want to always keep track of on that car, it's the timing belt. I'd suggest you check its condition each time before that long trip. Other than that, having owned a Lumina you know what to expect. Good luck.

The Timing belts have about a 60 000 mile life span on them. If the engine has only 50K, than I would make sure to check the timing belt, becuase chances are it will need to be replaced soon. Theres probably gonna be some people comming on here and saying that the 3.4 is a total POS, others will say that its the best motor ever. In my experiance wiht these cars, your either gonna have one that is plagued with problems, or one that won't die, No matter which engine you get. I would say that if the car starts giving you grief shortly after you buy it, get rid of it, because the grief will not stop.

its really up to you what you want, the pushrod motors tend to need less maintnince to keep running but a well kept 3.4 will do just fine as long as you stay on top of it. if you want a car that you can do minimal work to and drive it forever get a 3.1,3100,3400, or 3800. the 3.4 is for poeple who can work on there own cars or people with lots of money. so you can guess which mots 3.4 owners are :lol: good luck with the decision.

1. 1995 Monte, 3100, 123k, no rust, well maintained, auction car, $2500

2. 1996 Lumi, 3100, 100k, no rust, well maintained, auction car, $2900

IMO, either of these vehicles would fit your needs. The 3100 is a good engine (as long as it gets it oil changes) and there are few issues with it. Being a vehicle you need to be reliable to transport you 1,000s of miles a month, I would go with these. You don't want to be broken down in the middle of Boston and Rochester and loosing your job over it.

3. 1993 Lumi Euro 3.4 White, 100k/50k on motor, MINT, $3500

Just like the Taurus SHO, fast, fun, and needs the attention of a Ferrari (ie. it can be a money pit,) especially if you can't or are unable to work on vehicles.

4. 1995 Red CS Coupe, 3100, 150k, Almost Mint, $3999

To high millage, to much $, 'nuff said.

Is the Euro 3.4 rare?

If you are the seller, yes. If you are the buyer, no. They are more rare than a standard Lumina, but they are out there and can be realitivly easily found.

I hope my thoughts have helped you.

My wife drove one for about 4 years, typical 3.4 DOHC engine, keep after the maintenance or it bites you in the wallet.

I don't care how cherry it is, 3500 bucks is way too high in my opinion for that car. More like 1500 max, once again just my opinion.

I'd go with a 3100 or 3800 powered car just for ease of maintence and reliablity. other than LIM gaskets the 3100 will run forever, and the 3100 and 3800 will get about 3-4 more MPG Hwy than a 3.4 DOHC

IMHO i'd go with either the Monte or 96 Lumina. the 3100's are both hella reliable, and they're the cheapest outta the bunch. the euro 3.4 would be insane to have! but if you're just lookin for a driver, i'd stick with the first 2

and 4 grand for a cutty with 150k on the clock is nuthouse insane

Ok, I'm steering towards the monte.

However, there's a new addition:

White 1998 Chrysler Concorde LX, 2.7 DOHC (200hp), 73k, $4500, no rust, Great Condition...

This car's screwing with my head. I like LH's, but am a bit afraid to step away from GM.

With the 2.7, hell no. That engine is probably half sludged up as it is. Those 2.7's are notoriously known for sludging and premature failure. About as well known as Ford Taurus's crappy ass transmissions.

Yeah, stay away from that 2.7!!!

GO with a 3100 powered car. Can't go wrong with that, IMO of course. Not that the 3.4 isn't a good motor in it's own right, but for what your doing I think the 3100 would be more than enough. Of course, I quite enjoy my 3800 in my GP, but I wouldn't pay as much as you could for that GP with 106k on it.

The one car I looked at that I would accept was an '00 Grand Prix GT with 106k. Really nice car, but damn, $6900?

I bought my 98 GT for $5000 2 years ago, and it had about the same mileage as that one. So look around, you could find a better deal on one .

With the 2.7, hell no. That engine is probably half sludged up as it is. Those 2.7's are notoriously known for sludging and premature failure. About as well known as Ford Taurus's crappy ass transmissions.

I never heard this before. thank you though, ill have to keep an eye on my parents car and make sure they keep up on it.