Quick auto-x setup question...

fastbird232

The ex has graciously granted me use of the GTP for my car club's autocross event this Sunday. I have two days and only a couple bucks to get it ready. What should I do to it?

What should I do to it?

Drive the piss out of it, wear down the tires... and give it back to her.

If she's nice enough to let me race her car, why would I do that?

What should I do to it?

Drive the piss out of it, wear down the tires... and give it back to her.

If she's nice enough to let me race her car, why would I do that?

obvious reasons??

Anyways I woun't get into your personal life... I just know if I was in that type of situation I would be extremely bitter, but that's just me.

Anyhow...

Yeah, tire pressures, weight reduction, stuff like that. I understand I should take out anything that isn't bolted down. Should I change the oil before or after? Keep the trans in 2 to keep the RPMs in the midrange? Clean the MAF, etc.?

I gotta agree with C-bad :lol2:

but u have to remember she is driving his kid around also

very true....anyway, try to get some video clips or pics at worst case of you making some runs ....have a blast too...

I gotta agree with C-bad :lol2:

but u have to remember she is driving his kid around also

Thank you!

Actually, it is kinda weird everyone knows so much about me... I guess I talk a lot!

Anyhow, how does the FE3 suspension handle in something like this? Is there going to be much roll, do you think? Has anyone else here autocrossed their W?

let me get this straight..you're in a car club with no car. :joke:

I had one when I joined, but yeah, no car. Ironic.

I told her I wouldn't push the car too hard. I'm still not sure why she said yes. I mean, she pays the bills on it, but we split maintenance costs and I do all the little repairs to it (changing oil, fixing the cracked heater return line, etc.) because I borrow it from time to time. But I've been wanting to autocross this car for months, so I'm not going to question her motives. I want to pay her back with a full tank of gas, but with the $20 entry fee and gas topping $3 a gallon here, maybe a half-tank will suffice.

I love going out to the local auto cross events in town....I'm positive my Lumina wouldn't like me too much if I took around the course once or twice lol

Just got done emptying all the junk out of it (since it's now solely a chick's car, there's a lot of junk in there), took out the floormats, baby seat, trunk carpet, jack, and spare. She had to run an errand, but later tonight I'm gutting the trunk and removing the rear bench. Not much I can do dirt-cheap engine-wise, but I'll check the fluids, blow out the air filter, and air up the tires.

I'm so pumped for tomorrow! I've never raced a car like this before.

Anyhow, how does the FE3 suspension handle in something like this? Is there going to be much roll, do you think? Has anyone else here autocrossed their W?

FE3 is more meant for this kind of handling purposes. I know with my car, ( FE1 suspension, front and rear STB's ) there not very much body roll at all. FE3 would be even better. But since you only use the car very seldom, if it doesnt already have STB's I wouldnt worry about it.

I'm so excited about racing tomorrow, I need to take some benedryl to get to sleep... Unbolted basically everything from the front seats on back... only to make up all that lost weight with too much gasoline (put in half tank when I meant to put in a third).

Just got back. I was too busy either racing or manning a corner to take pictures (as was everyone), but one guy did take some pictures of the cars before the racing started, and someone is going to piece together footage and post it online.

With me having the least-sporty car there (I was running against cars such as a Mustang Cobra, a Porsche-something, and about a dozen small, turbocharged imports), I dunno if I was featured, but I held my own and I'm sure I did the w-body community proud (and yes, I did get the obligatory "Is that supercharged?" question...).

When I warm up a little (it was POURING rain the entire time), I'll tell you all about it in the Racing section.