I hate to beat the whole Cooling Fan topic to death, but...

gmrulz4u

This is my first time ever posting anything about my 89 Supreme's 2.8L engine cooling fans.

After hearing a few of you guys complain about your fans NOT coming on until the engine was over 200 degrees, I decided to check mine out today.

So, I hooked-up my AutoXray to see what temperature the ECM was getting from the Coolant Temp. Sensor. I let the engine get to 220 degrees F', and still NEITHER fan came on??

But here's one question that may solve this, is the COOLANT TEMP. the same thing as the ENGINE TEMP.? Because my scanner doesn't show me anything saying "ENGINE TEMP." I figure the temperature of the coolant is a close approximation to the temperature of the engine itself, right?

What should I be checking FIRST if indeed my fans are fuc_ed? Is there any fuses?

THANKS!:)

My secondary fan wouldn't go on and would cause my car to overheat. I had to replace the coolant temp. sensor. It fixed the problem for about a year, but now I think it's gone bad again, cause the car is starting to run around 220-230 degrees again. Try jumping the sensor with a paperclip and see if the fans kick in.

On my 95' CS I had a probelm with my fans. Changed the relays...didn't work. Check all fuse all was good. SO I just set them up so that when I start my car they come on. Just my 2 cents.

Laterz,

William Grimmer

Yeah I actually replaced my Coolant Temp. Sensor a few months ago with a brand-new one, but, from what I understand now, there's actually TWO Coolant Temp. Sensors in these cars! One that connects to the dash, and one that connects to the ECM. The one I had to replace was the one that connected to the dash/gauge because it was going completely out-of-whack.

In my case, I don't think the other Coolant Temp. Sensor is the problem, because it's fluctuating perfectly, and I can see it all working fine on my scanner.

What TELLS the fans to turn on? The sensor or the ECM?

Whether or not its true I heard that the people that do have two electric fans that one fan is for the primery cooling of your engine and that the other is for when you are running your A/C or Defroster.Dunno my self.

Whether or not its true I heard that the people that do have two electric fans that one fan is for the primery cooling of your engine and that the other is for when you are running your A/C or Defroster.Dunno my self.

I thought the primary fan came on under normal use, then if that one can't do the job/engine temp continues to rise, the secondary fan kicks in to help? I guess thats the way mine functions anyway.

Guest Anonymous
what are the kinds of cars that keep the fans running for a short while after u turn it off/take the key out?

I think all cars do that if the engine temp is high enough.

by turning the AC on max and fan on high will get both fans going, it also needs to be hot enough outside like ~80*.

so what do you peoples sudgest to test the fan? i hear a paperclip but yeah ive been shocked enough lately

No shock risk.. that I know of.. :) At least I didn't get one, and I'm a professional in the 'getting shocked' department. Gotta do it when the engine has been running and is nice and hot.. if the secondary fan hasn't kicked in by 230*, you can pull the plug off the coolant temp. sensor and stick a paperclip in the 2 little prong holes and if the fan kicks in at that point, that sensor is bad. DON'T BURN YOURSELF! I'm not to smart, so I automatically wedged my hand down in the engine to pull the sensor wire off.. yep live and learn I figure.

If you want, you can be handy with a couple of screwdrivers and pull that harness of the sensor.