Best Suspension Set-Up For Handling

91GranSport

I have a '91 Regal GranSport sedan with 180,000km and the original 3800 TPI and 4T60.

I'm planning to replace the front struts, rear shocks, and quite possibly the springs as well. I want a very firm, tighter handling ride. I have the GranSport suspension with 16 inch wheels and 225/60-16 tires. I am already planning to install an Addco 7/8 inch rear swaybar and an RSM polyurethane bushing kit. I'm not too sure about purchasing FFWD's coilover yet, so I need to know what the best struts/shocks to use are, as well the springs. I am already planning to purchase RSM's front and rear strut tower braces as well. I have heard KYB GR-2s are great, but what about Monroe Sens-A-Tracs? Does anyone else have any recommendations? Thanks!

KYB-GR2s are really nice. I like them. I would've like to have gotten Koni adjustables when they had them..but you can only special order the rears from TireRack.com now. I just noted in another forum topic, I'd ideally like to pick up the rear coil-overs from a '95-'99 Monte Carlo and install the Eibach progressive rate springs all around. I had them on my Mustang and loved them.

Here's what I'm running, and I will modestly say that I am VERY impressed by the handling on my car.

I Run:

KYBs all corners

Addco Bar

Poly Bushings

Suspension Tech lowering Springs Front

FE3 rear spring

16x7 inch rims with 235/55ZR tires

The car doesnt ride harsh and it corners very neutrally and agressively. This set up is on a 90 regal and you can see the car at:

http://tomlydon.homeunix.com

-Tom

i cant figure out how to get the name to follow behind a quote so...ghetto style:

Brian P, "95-99 montes have rear coil springs. That thread mentioned probably fronts."

...i was talking about taking the rear coil-overs from a 95-99 monte carlo and putting them in place of monoleaf and struts. then getting the eibach progressive rate springs for 95-99 monte carlo

i cant figure out how to get the name to follow behind a quote so...ghetto style:

Brian P, "95-99 montes have rear coil springs. That thread mentioned probably fronts."

...i was talking about taking the rear coil-overs from a 95-99 monte carlo and putting them in place of monoleaf and struts. then getting the eibach progressive rate springs for 95-99 monte carlo

I don't think that will work, the rear springs on the monte are meant for its mounting system, which I believe is similar to how the N-body (Grand Am) and Corsica is set up. "Coilovers" for a w-body have their own custom mounts and a specific diameter to just barely fit over the stock struts.

That definitely won't work. The 95-99 Monte carlo wheel wells are significantly deeper to make room for the coil spring. The upper mount is also much larger.

thanks...i won't even bother with the idea anymore. i just got an e-mail back from good old George Smolen and he said 2-3 weeks for the rubber dyes. i think i'll just get that once it finally appears for sale.

I had no idea you can interchange parts from a Gen1 W-Body and a Gen1.5 W-Body! How exactly would I be able to install the rear coilspring/shock set up from a Monte Carlo/Lumina? What about my rear monoleaf spring? I guess I would probably have to switch the brakes as well, right?

KYB-GR2s are really nice. I like them. I would've like to have gotten Koni adjustables when they had them..but you can only special order the rears from TireRack.com now. I just noted in another forum topic, I'd ideally like to pick up the rear coil-overs from a '95-'99 Monte Carlo and install the Eibach progressive rate springs all around. I had them on my Mustang and loved them.

Okay, scrap the idea of using Monte Carlo/Lumina parts on my Gen1. I think I'll just use KYB GR-2s at all four corners, and perhaps I will wait to see how that lowering monoleaf spring turns out when it's on sale. Thanks guys!

I'd also suggest getting a front swaybar from a Lumina Z34/Grand Prix GTP. It's a big 34mm swaybar, biggest factory stock swaybar. I'm not sure if it's the same as on the regal though.

Most any Grand Prix with the ground effect package has the big bar up front. If you have the 3.4D it should be guaranteed in there no matter what car

I was guessing it'd be the same size as the Regal's GranSport suspension, which is what I currently have. I could be totally wrong though.

I'd also suggest getting a front swaybar from a Lumina Z34/Grand Prix GTP. It's a big 34mm swaybar, biggest factory stock swaybar. I'm not sure if it's the same as on the regal though.

the 34mm bar came out in '91 for the DOHC cars, and the Grand Prix's with the body kit. MAYBE 95+ cutlasses got it but I havent checked

EDIT: check under your car, or next time the tire is taken off, find the end of the swaybar on the control arm and see if it's hollow or solid. The solid is a 32?mm bar which is pretty decent, and the 34mm is hollow. Also the standard bar, 28mm I believe, is hollow too, but that one you'll know if you had it. The entire bar is all 1 diameter (28mm) while anything else is 28mm at the ends, then flares out to 34mm etc