Not Really impressed by the 3.4 Dohc

Jeorge

well my Friend picked up his new car a 95 monte Z34.

white with black leather, 71,xxx miles. and texas tinted windows 5%.

and well compared to my ste it didnt seem to pull hard the only thing I noticed is it does rev quite nicely.

but other then that my ste Running like crap like it does Still pulled harder then that thing at 2500+ rpm..

but I must say for $5000 its a nice car...

and once my cross over is changed we are going to see what one accutally faster.

after I told him I think my car Pulls better hes bought the stuff for a Full tune up.

there is a DRK green 96 z34 for sale at a dealer with wheel radio contols,CD, power sunroof dark windows and and loaded I think they want 65-6900 for it. not sure. but its nice looking too

I have owned both a 3.4 DOHC GP and a TGP. They are both good performers. The TGP gets its max. torque at only 2100 vs 4000 rpms for the DOHC. When equipped with an auto trans, like mine was, the HP rating is just 200 hp vs 210 with a manual trans. In 1996 the HP rating is 215 with all auto's. Any body know exactly why this is a 15 hp gain over previous DOHC auto's. Make sure he has a good air filter and that the front inlet cone is not scrunched closed like mine was. It ran out of steam early until I opened up this scrunched inlet and put in a drop in k&n. Then it pulled great.

I own both, the TGP is faster.

The 3.4 DOHC is definitely nice and has great passing power, but the TGP really hauls ass from a standstill.

I'm with Shawn on this one..

After driving the TGP for a few days and then going back to the Cutlass.. it just felt kind of slow, lol.

Yeah LukeZ34, I bet the Cutlass felt slow compared to that chip-modded, 5-speed TGP ? Those times posted a while back for your car would probably dip into the 13's if adjusted for elevation ! :D

the DOHC running strong as it should is a rare thing. After a tune up it should run good. The 1996-1997 DOHC's i have seen are eather STRONGER then my modded monte or run like crap. the dohc is a motor you must have everthing in perfect working order or it will not run nearly as it should. BTW My tgp runs good from a dead stop but it has nothing on the Monte when up to speed. the monte will own the TGP at highway speeds.

Shane

Versus a stock TGP, my 5-speed Z34 would walk all over it, particularly on the highway. Gtech measured that car at 14.8 (Z34). Off the line the TGP wins. Not only is the 3.4 a rare thing to get running perfect, but the auto SEVERELY hampers it. Anyone who doesn't believe me go drive a 5-speed 3.4. :wink:

A modded TGP (read:chipped) will waste most any 3.4 (there are exceptions, I know). The TGP has SO many more available mods so speed is easier to get for the average owner/driver. I think, Shawn and Luke, that the cutty convertible is also the slowest 3.4 car because of its weight.

-T

Guest TurboSedan

i was really surprised by the race i won last week with the DOHC '94 Cutlass sedan (auto). sure the thing was probably not tuned perfectly, but when he was revving his engine beside me it sounded pretty healthy and much more aggressive than my car (i was revving back at him and trying to hold RPM at 2500-3000 so i could launch good). i know he was even loading his torque converter to try and get a good launch. i don't even have a turbo, and i BLEW that car away all the way up to 60mph by two car lengths. the DOHC seemed to just be a total dog ecspecially under 40mph. BUT, i think if were racing a DOHC car at 75mph on the interstate (side by side), i would downshift to 4th, floor it and i would probably get spanked good even if he did have an auto....

my big advantage is that i have a good low-end torque motor mated to a pretty steeply geared manual. too bad i can only rev to 4500 RPM :?

joshua