Steering wheel paint removal?

ron350

Steering wheel paint removal?

Has any one tried to remove the paint on a steering wheel?

The factory Gray paint has started flaking off in a few places and I wondered if it was possible to remove the rest without hurting the black rubber stuff underneath.

Not sure on the finish of some of our steering wheel,s but I do know you can get the wheel refinsihed fairly cheaply (if the finish has been worn off, or if it is cracking, etc..) or ust pick a new one up from a junk yard if cheaper.

My friend had his refinished in his Cavy, looks brand new and it had 200k on it!

Paint? I'm pretty sure thats the leather flaking off... In either case, you can easily go to a yard, and yank a near new condition wheel for sure.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread... The steering wheel on my Lumina is starting to peel now really bad on the top. You really can't find any in a junkyard that are in better shape, most are actually worse by now. I was wondering, is it possible to repaint the wheel? I've used vinyl and plastic paint all over the interior of my truck, but don't know if it'll work on the Lumina. Also, what is the refinishing you're talking about? I've never heard of that...

I'm not sure that the stuff on the steering wheel is actually paint. I've heard of people using leather dyes on steering wheels before, but I'm not sure if that was for a peeling repair or just because the color of the wheel had faded.