Muffler to replace my stock 1990 GP muffler

cardboard

Hey,

I am looking into buying a new muffler for my GP,

I went to a Canadian Tire today and saw a cheap muffler for $39.99 CAN, it was a Cherry Bomb Turbo Performance Muffler. I was about to grab one, but I didnt know what size my pipes are! :oops:

So, does anyone know what the size of the stock exhaust pipes are on a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix LE [edit - forgot to add that its a 3.1L multiport FI engine]? My best guess would be 2"?

And what kind of ofset would I need? like straight to straight, or offset to straight?

Do you guys think that replacing a muffler is a good project or should I just take it to a muffler shop and get them to install it?

If I decided to install it myself, what else would I need? a clamp..and anything else?

BTW, Im gonna need to replace my Catalytic converter soon, will i notice anything if I get a high flow one?

Thanks!

All Im saying is mine had the single exhaust and it WAS and still is 2.25", but it is a 92. So screw you guys, Im going home!! :D And, I do have duals, Jeremy!

Robby

yeah and the cherry bombs cost how much they cost 20 bucks at my local meijers shit for 40 here i can get dynomax

well and for robby your jealous you don't have duals lol

j/k

All Im saying is mine had the single exhaust and it WAS and still is 2.25", but it is a 92. So screw you guys, Im going home!! :D And, I do have dual, Jeremy!

Robby

I don't know about 91+ GP's, my sister's car has the same 2" piping as mine originally had. I KNOW the '90 GP has 2"

none of you biatches have real "duals".. so shut your yappers :lol:

yeah, Matt, we all know that, good job, Captain Obvious, I think most of us know that on a FWD you really cant have true duals. :roll:

Robby

um ok.......the crossover turns into its own downpipe and the rear bank has its own seprate downpipe. i dont know how that will affect the car, my guess is completley shitty, but it IS true dual. 2 cats, 2 mufflers. ur set

true duals can and have been done, although I believe whoever from the gmforums that did it had headers when he did his. I don't think you would see much of a benefit from running true duals on these small displacement engines. Most of the major muffler/exhaust product manufacturers usually have "an h-pipe is recommended in all dual exhaust applications" which would make it essentially a tied together system and wouldn't be considered duals. My brother-in-law has tried about 10+ setups on his full size GMC Sierra and true duals seemed to kill a good bit of power, after he tied it back together, it seems to have hella more pickup, I guess it all depends on the application and plenty of other factors. I think someone was quoted around $900 for a true dual system on a FWD Grand Prix IIRC :lol:

dont know how this turned into a discussion about duels... but anyways...

So the pipes are 2" right?

So If I buy the 2" muffler and I cut off my old one, will new pipe fit on the new muffler, or will i need some sort of connector thing?

BTW do muffler tips change the sound of the exhaust?

Thanks!

Most mufflers Ive seen have the inlet pipe flanged out, so you won't need an adapter. In other words the inlet pipe is 2 inches "Inside Diameter" just double check though before you purchase it. Certain tips will change the sound, yes.

And yeah, things can get off topic here.